Findings

Chapter 13

Late the next morning, Zane was escorted to Paige's personal suite, and at his father's request, Ryder accompanied him. Again, he stopped his personal guard from entering the queen's personal quarters, asking them to remain out of the queen's sight. They were not happy about his new habit of leaving them while he was in the presence of the queen, but he really felt the sight of them would be too upsetting for her.

The Bluescales were given a set of rooms that overlooked the ocean, complete with a waterway. Dean opened the door, and one of his guards hovered behind with a look of apprehension on his face. It was clear that Dean answering the door himself was neither expected nor appreciated by his guard. As soon as his electrifying blue eyes landed on Zane, he started chattering about the suite, showing Zane and Ryder his room, and the two adjoining sitting rooms. Dean pointed to a door, letting Zane know it belonged to Paige.

Dean led Zane into a room with a long table. The double doors to the balcony were open, allowing the ocean breeze to waft in, making the curtains flutter softly. Paige was already seated at the head of the long table, her back to the wall, facing the balcony that looked out over the sea. He studied her for a moment as she gave direction to some of the staff. She was requesting that all the mirrors in her suite be taken down and replaced with pictures of her family. Zane thought that she still looked tired, with dark circles under her eyes. Her skin had lost the flush of life it held the night before, leaving her looking an unsettling pale color.

Paige's handmaidens were busy stacking rolls of fabric, pin cushions, scissors, and tape measurers that were scattered at the end of the table. Paige's new wardrobe was already in the works. He had no doubt he would soon see Paige donning long gowns made of delicate fabrics.

Dean ran in the room ahead of Zane, taking the chair on Paige's right so he was facing the door and could see everyone coming in.

"Lady Queen," Zane greeted, pausing in the doorway. Paige raised her eyebrows at his formality, but this is how he was raised. It was the natural way for royals, and she needed to learn that. "My father has sent my brother Ryder in the hopes that you might find his company...helpful."

"I see," she said soberly. "Show him in. He may be of some use."

When Ryder came in, he bowed formally before Paige, and Zane had to formally introduce them before Ryder would speak to the queen. So many formalities had fallen to the wayside since he came in contact with the young queen.

"Lady Queen, I thank you for your gracious accommodations. If I may say, I never anticipated to encounter such beauty. I can assure you, my brother has not done you justice." He stepped forward, reaching out to take her hand. Her whole body went rigid at his approach, and a glassy look filled her eyes. He was about to kiss the hand he'd claimed when she jerked away, leaving Ryder looking offended.

There was no denying that Paige was attractive, and Zane could see how others would find her beautiful, though her petite features and wide eyes didn't hold his interest the way Lavender's did. Zane didn't think she would be upset by Ryder's backhanded dig at Zane not gushing about her beauty. He could see that Paige was looking more uncomfortable by Ryder's remark than offended that Zane hadn't talked her up. The look in her eyes reminded him of the previous morning when Dean had told Paige that she was the pretty one.

He wondered why her reaction was so unlike any female's he'd ever met. All the girls he'd ever known loved being told that they were beautiful. Especially the ones that were actually attractive, like Paige was.

"You Blackskin princes sure have the formality garbage down," Paige said after she blinked a few times, shaking herself from whatever caused her moment of ill ease.