The Disturbing Breakfast

Chapter 8

"Paige," Dean yelled excitedly. In an instant, he was on the bed next to her. She reached out to him with her good hand, running her fingers through his hair.

"There's my handsome prince," she said with more strength than she had shown Zane. He saw how much this pretense for Dean's sake had cost her. Her face paled and her hands shook. Dean didn't seem to notice, being happy to see her awake. "You need a bath." She scrunched up her nose and pulled away from their embrace.

"You're awake! Are you feeling better?" he blurted out, ignoring her bath comment.

"Yes, and I'm a bit hungry. Why don't you and Zane go get some breakfast, then you can bring some back for me."

"What do you want?" Dean asked, his brown eyes dancing with delight.

"Surprise me." She forced a smile for him. There was a depth of tenderness in her eyes that made Zane's stomach clench with a longing he hadn't felt in years. It had been a long time since he'd seen his dear sister. He pushed the thought of Ellie away as Dean's next question brought him back to reality.

"Did Zane tell you we're going to make you a dragon? That will make you well again."

"Yes, Zane told me." There was no apprehension or fear in her voice now.

"It was my idea."

"That's because you're the smart one."

"Yeah, but you're the pretty one."

She held the smile on her face for Dean's sake, but her eyes went blank, as if the complement offended her. "Run along now. Go, get some food." Her voice was hollow, and Zane wondered why she gave the complement such an adverse reaction.

Dean was in much better spirits now that he had spoken to Paige. He skipped ahead of Zane and the guards, only to stop dead in his tracks to look at something that caught his eye. The process was repeated several times before they reached the kitchen. Zane had younger siblings, one close to Dean's age, but they never looked around their castle with fascination and wonder. Everything was new to Dean, and it was clear he'd never been in any dwelling this large. He wanted to venture down this hall or the next, intrigued by the look of a door, a tapestry, or banner. Zane only had to remind him of Paige waiting on food and he would mutter something about exploring later, then he'd walk close to Zane for a few focused seconds.

There was already a bustle of activity in the kitchen. With so many royals still in the castle, the staff had been on high alert. All movement stopped when Dean's small frame came through the door. Talking was silenced by gaping jaws as the youngest Bluescale made his first official appearance.

Every eye in the kitchen turned to the young prince. By now, the whole realm would have heard about the two Bluescale heirs. Dean froze and tried to back out of the room, but Zane stopped him with a hand on his shoulder.

"Everyone, this is Prince Dean of Bluescale," Zane said with all the authority of his royal upbringing rolling through his voice.

"Good morning, My Prince," the kitchen staff said in unison, bowing as Dean's eyes grew to the size of plates.

The head cook, Lucia, stepped forward to introduce herself to Dean. She was a stiff, formal woman. Zane was accustomed to the type. She was obviously proud of her kitchen and her work for the royals. Zane could see that everyone in the kitchen had an assigned area. The environment that was created for efficient, quality work was clearly intimidating to Dean. Zane knew if he hadn't been with the young prince, he would have left the kitchen without any food.