Before

The village, a small place full of happiness and people. Right beside the village lies a forest, which the villagers never travel into.
As to why?
That is quite a story. Though, it is a story worth telling.
There once was a skeleton. This skeleton had dark bones, almost pitch black, and part of his skull would drift away and reform. He was a strange skeleton, he liked sleeping during the day and staying up at night, hunting and eating his pray, and plenty of other things. Though, another strange thing he did was..
He would kill people.
He didn't kill many, but most of his victims were targeted. He used a strategy. He would lure them into his home, acting sweet and kind, and right at their weakest moment...he would strike.
Soon enough the whole village found out, and as punishment, they would kill him. They tied him to a tree in the woods and left him there, knowing an animal would eventually eat him. Either that or he would starve to death.
Years past, and kids would be playing out in the woods at night when they would see a figure amount the darkness, much similar to that of the murderous skeleton. There were many sightings, and disappearances, since then.
At first, there were many, but as time went by, there were less and less, up until where there were almost none at all, as if he had died completely, or for sure.
In the present, it was winter, though there was little to no snow. Just because there wasn't snow, doesn't mean it wasn't cold. People were walking in the streets wearing scarves and handmade coats. There was one house, no, building that is important. This building was a studio for a popular artist in the village, known as Encre.
  He was a white skeleton, who lived alone in his studio and didn't socialize very much. He liked to stay indoors and paint, though sometimes he would go outside to get some inspiration. And boy, was he in desperate need of some.
  "She wants a winter nature scenery.." Encre muttered to himself. He didn't know whether to be mad at himself or upset because he had to leave his studio in this weather. He sighed and stood up off of his chair.
   "I suppose I will have to go out in this weather," he said softly, obviously to himself. He hated leaving his studio, especially when the weather was harsher than it usually was. He picked his coat off of his chair and put it on, looking at nothing specific while he did so.
Encre walked downstairs, the studio part of the building, and he walked out the front door. He sighed, the cold winter air stinging his face. He shut the door as he walked out, quickly heading away from the building and towards the woods. He did his best as to not make any eye contact with anyone and to pretend he wasn't there.
Soon he made it to the beginning of the woods, and he looked up at the tall trees.
"Everything's taller than me," Encre murmured as he walked into the woods. He walked and walked, his eyes taking in every detail of the scene around him. Sadly, there was almost no snow.
  "There's got to be someplace in here covered in snow," Encre stated, speaking his thoughts aloud. As he walked deeper and deeper into the forest, there was more and more snow covering the ground and trees. He felt a smile form on his lips.
"This is more like it," he said, reaching into his satchel underneath his coat and pulling out a sketchbook and a pencil. His eyes lit up as he looked down at his sketchbook and back up at the snowy forest around him.
The sunlight was slowly fading, and Encre didn't notice until it was fully replaced with dim moonlight. He could barely see anything now.
He sighed and put his sketchbook and pencil away.
"Time to go home," Encre said quietly. Then it hit him.
  He didn't know where to go.
  He had become lost in the forest. The forbidden forest. Where there are said to be vampires- creatures that suck the blood, the life, out of others to live. The thought alone sent shivers down Encre's spine. Or it could've been that it seemed to have gotten colder.
Encre kept his eyes wide, trying to adjust to the darkness. It was easy, but he still didn't know where to go. He started walking in a different direction.
He muttered things to himself in French as he walked. Hours past, and he was still walking, though now slower due to being tired. He didn't want to sit down on the snow since it would make him cold, and it would make his pants wet. He shivered.
  The atmosphere changed as he had the feeling of  being watched, as if someone were staring at him in the darkness.
  Encre shook the feeling off as best he could, though it was hard. He kept walking when suddenly he was pinned against a tree.

   "And I thought villagers didn't like it here."