Wording

"Later." I hissed into the phone.

"No I really, really think you need to get here now."

"I'm busy." I said, glancing at Peter, who was wondering around in his own little world.

"She's getting better."

I paused, biting my lip, "How so?"

"I woke up this morning and she just looked... better. I mean she still looks very Night of the Living Dead. But she's just healed up a bit."

"Are you there with her now?"

"Yep."

"And she hasn't done anything else?"

"Nope, just stares at me, like she has been, nonstop this entire time. Did I mention you're the worst and I hate you?"

"Many times since we met."

"Good just checking," he said, "So are you coming? I figured you would have the most, or the only, experience with this type of thing?"

I pinched the bridge of my nose, "Just hold tight, I'll be there as soon as I can."

"Quickly would be ideal."

I clicked the phone off and pocketed it before he could whine anymore.

Looking back over in Peter's direction I found him on his knees in the wood chips.

I crouched next to him and wrapped my arms around his shoulders.

"Are you alright?" I asked. His breathing had calmed but was replaced by a blank stare which was even more unsettling.

"I'm not sure yet." He replied.

"Anything I can do?"

He turned his head to me and smiled, kissing me lightly before saying, "It's nothing to worry about."

"Are you sure?"

"I mean, I'm not even really surprised, it's just strange is all." He dismissed, getting to his feet, "who called?"

"Ivan." I followed suit and we began heading back towards the car.

"What did he want?"

"Our assistance, don't worry about it."

"Well, we have to go." He said, heading back in the direction of the car.

"Are you sure?"I asked, following him.

"Yep."

I wasn't sure what to do. I didn't want him to have a mental breakdown, but it didn't seem healthy to ignore it either.

"I'm sure it's really not that big of a deal, we can stay here and figure this out first."

"I'd really love to not do that."

I was about to question him but bit my tongue. 

We ran back to our hotel, grabbed our stuff and got on the next plane back to Minneapolis. I spent the entire time watching Peter out of the corner of my eye and to my surprise he didn't crack. Aside from being quieter than usual, he was normal. If I didn't know any better, I would have thought he was fine. 

We left our bags in the car and went straight to the hotel. 

When we got to the penthouse the light was on and snack wrappers were strewn across the floor.

"Ivan?" I called into the suite. 

He popped his head out, "Thank god."

"I like what you've done with the place." I said, picking an empty Red Bull can. 

"Like it looked that great to start with."

'It's been like two days."

"A very long two days."

"Any highlights?"

"See for yourself," he said gesturing to the bedroom.

Peter and I followed him around the corner to find her huddled in the corner, picking apart a Snickers bar with gnarled fingers.

She still looked terrifying, but there was something strangely different. A hint of rosiness in her complexion and a few less gaping wounds. 

When she caught sight of me she paused and then shifted to her hands and knees. She began pulling herself towards us but slowed half way there.

"Nice to see you." I heard a voice say. It was a voice that I'd almost forgotten about, locked deep inside my own mind. I looked at the others, but I already knew they hadn't heard it, even though the creature's lips had moved when it said it. 

I paused as I watched a smile crease her lips, and a chuckle rang out in my ears. 

/////////

Okay, so I have to apologize because I avoided this chapter because I wasn't sure exactly how I wanted it to go. But I go to do it today AND I HAD ALREADY WRITTEN IT. This stupid chapter has been sitting here for like two weeks because I'm a moron who wrote it and then managed to completely forget about it. 

why am I like this?

Anyway, enjoy! more to come