Chapter One-Rest.

Kion was sure almost everyone else was asleep.

The cub raised his head and scanned the lair with soft amber eyes. Even in the darkness, he could make out each of his friends' sleeping forms and smiled softly to himself. He leaped down, careful not to make a sound and exited the lair.

The fresh air that hit is face was what he needed. He let his thoughts drift away for a moment as he felt the breeze swish through his golden fur, brushing against his mane. The cub sat down outside of the lair and looked up at the sky, the stars glittering in the darkness above made him smile.

Kion didn't like to sleep.

Kion wasn't a sleeper.

He felt that if he slept and something bad happened to the Pridelands, it would be his fault. He was, after all, the leader of the Lion Guard. Protecting his home and his family is what mattered more to him than even his own life did.

Letting these thoughts surround him again, he didn't realize a certain honey badger had followed him out until Bunga spoke, a slightly amused tone in his voice,

"You know, you're gonna be dragging your paws tomorrow on morning patrol if you don't get some rest."

Kion flicked an ear, turning to look at his best friend, who was giving the lion cub a warm smile. Kion gave a grin in return, chuckling slightly. "I'm not tired."

"You've been saying that for a week now." Bunga reminded him, coming to the cubs side and sitting down. Kion found himself laying down beside him so that their heads were leveled. "If you don't sleep, one of these days you're gonna fall to the ground snoring, probably when we're on a mission."

Kion smiled a little at the thought, nudging the side of his head lightly against Bunga's shoulder, "What would you do if that happened?"

"Splash water on your face."

Both of them laughed, albeit quietly so not to wake up anyone else.

"Seriously Kai, you should rest." Bunga looked over at his best friend, smiling. "Its not like anything bad is going to happen at night. Not even Janja and his clan are energetic enough to attack this late."

Of course he knows why I stay up, Kion mused silently, a faint smile twitching at his lips. Nothing got past Bunga, especially not when it came to Kion.

"I guess a little sleep wouldn't hurt."

"You need it." Bunga said with a smile. "You deserve it. Get some rest."

Kion looked at him, then smiled, laying his head down on his paws with a sigh. "Alright."

Bunga silently moved over, curling up beside his best friend. Neither spoke after that, but Kion wrapped one paw around the honey badger and pulled him close, Bunga rested his head on Kion's other paw, and Kion rested his head over Bunga's stomach silently. And that's how they fell asleep, together.