Chapter Nineteen (Part II)

Here's Part II, up on Jan. 17th like I promised. I didn't have time to proofread the whole thing before I put it up so please excuse the mistakes.  Thank you for your patience and for all the kind comments and messages that you left on the last chapter! :) 

Thank you @Riemishaq for the banner <3

Quick Recap: The cafe that belongs to Jamie's mom got trashed. The jocks and Luke are there to help. 

Chapter Nineteen (Part II)

Jamie Vandeviere

"Yo, Jamie, where do you want these chairs, girl?"

"Umm.... put them in the left corner for now. I haven't finished mopping the other side of the room. Thank you," I told Roger, gawking at him in amazement when he effortlessly picked up four wooden chairs like they weighed nothing and carried them across the room.

When Luke said he had an idea, it didn't occur to me that he meant calling Bryce and the rest of the football team for help. Which is why my jaw dropped to the floor when the jocks appeared, with Roger bellowing "I'm going to kill whoever did this shit!", asking what they could do to help. I was so touched that they showed up that I almost broke into tears at the sight of them. How clear-headed they looked was also quite surprising, considering how much alcohol that they had consumed the night before at the beach party.

Just before the jocks arrived, I called Lucy and Clara and informed them of the vandalism  as  well. They threw their arms around me the moment they got to my mom's cafe and promised that they would do whatever they could to help.

With my friends, the jocks, and Luke here, I didn't feel so helpless and upset anymore.  

A familiar red Ford up pulled in front of the shop and my breath stilled when it dawned on me that I still hadn't told my mom about my being friends with the jocks. Most importantly, I still hadn't told her about Luke, which was something I'd been wanting to do since weeks ago. I kept putting it off because I didn't know how I could explain my sudden friendship with the star quarterback of the football team to her. I mean, " I almost ran Luke over and then he enlisted my help to take down his ex-girlfriend, the meanest girl in town, Summer Merrick," didn't sound like something I should tell my mother. It would have freaked her out.  

Maybe Mom wouldn't ask how I'd come to know Luke and the jocks. Fat chance, but maybe.

Mom stepped out of her car and her eyes bulged out of their sockets when she spotted her shop crowded with muscular teenagers who were scurrying in and out of her cafe like professional movers. The jocks greeted her with a chorus of "Hi, Mrs. V.!" and it took her approximately ten seconds to mumble  a "Hello!" in response. When her eyes zeroed on Luke, who was crouched down on the floor wiping the table bottoms with A.J., she actually dropped one of the Walmart bags that she was holding in surprise and stood there blinking rapidly, like she couldn't believe what she was seeing.

"Mom," I called her uncertainly, when she continued gawking at Luke like he was a new specie.

At the sound of my voice, she turned her gaze to me. I sprinted over to her at once.

"Jamie? What's going on?"