Chapter Twenty-Three

This chapter has not been edited so please excuse the mistakes and typos :)

Dedicated to @Francesword for the beautiful banner on the side! 

--------

Chapter Twenty-Three

Jamie Vandeviere

I know this is going to sound like the cheesiest thing ever, but I woke up the next morning feeling like a new person.

So much went down within the past forty-eight hours that I still get dizzy just thinking about it. Summer trashed my mom's cafe, Luke told me he liked me, I kissed him, I broke up with Adam…

And last night, I definitely had one of the best nights of sleep. I dreamed of Luke telling me how he felt about me again behind my mother's café. Only in my dream, I didn't ruin the moment of happiness with my clumsiness, nor did I get into an argument with my best friend afterwards. I was very poised and graceful, and it was such a wonderful dream that I didn't want to open my eyes and get up the next morning. I liked the Jamie Vandeviere in my dream- the version of me who didn't do embarrassing things when the guy that I like told me he had feelings for me;  the version of me who didn't offend Lucy by blurting out something I should have kept to myself  

The knock on my door, however, decided that I had get up and face reality.

"Jamie, I'm leaving for work!"

I opened my eyes, looked over to the alarm clock and hopped out of bed when I saw the time. "Okay, Dad. See you later."

Dad, dressed in his usual white button-down shirt and khaki slacks, tentatively pushed the door open. "So, umm, are you feeling okay, kiddo?"

Oh, right. Have I mentioned that I kind of told my parents about my breakup with Adam? And they seemed to be under the impression that I was devastated, even though I'd repeatedly told them that I was the one who ended things with him and the two of us were still great friends.

"I'm fine, Dad. Really," I told him with a smile. "You and Mom don't have to worry about me." I have a date with Luke tomorrow night so trust me, I'm more than fine.

Oh my God. My date with Luke. I would have to tell my parents about that tonight. Just thinking about it made me giddy.

"Alright. That's good," There was something in his voice that made me think he didn’t believe me. "Have a great day at school."

Great day at school? I just hoped that I could make it through the day without unintentionally pissing off another friend of mine or angering another loony blonde. On the other hand, I do get something great out of going to school. I'd get to see Luke.

***

Sucking in a deep breath, I clutched my textbook tightly to my chest and weaved my way through the throngs of people in the hallway before the person that I was looking for came into view. Lucy had just thrown a spiral notebook into her locker and was about to make her way to her first class, and upon seeing me approaching her, she froze and stayed perfectly still.