Chapter Twenty-Five

Dedicated to the lovely @Cfunk3 for her encouraging message! 

Song on the side is called Rocketship by Shane Harper. 

Quick Reminder: This chapter takes place three days after Jamie's mom's cafe gets trashed by Summer, two days after Jamie and Adam's break up, and a day after the lunch table switch. 

Enjoy!

Chapter Twenty-Five 

Jamie Vandeviere

“Are we there yet?” I asked, growing a bit impatient. I’d been sitting in the car for what felt like hours, though Luke later assured me that the ride was actually only twenty-three minutes long. I guess when you’re blindfolded, minutes drag on.

In case you’ve forgotten, yes, Luke blindfolded me. It felt pretty weird, not being able to see anything for so long when all I wanted to do was to yank the fabric off my face and stare at the amazing guy sitting beside me while he drove. On our first date. I mean, was that too much to ask?

Luke answered my question with a quiet laugh beside me. “Almost.”

True to his words, we did arrive at our destination pretty soon after. My hands flew to the back of my head the second the car stopped moving. I was bubbling with excitement at the prospect of seeing colors- and Luke’s face- again, but Luke put his hands over mine before I even touched the straps.

Darn.

“Not so fast, Jamie. You can’t take it off just yet.”

“Luke, I feel so silly-”

“Don’t move, okay?”

And I felt even sillier when I heard Luke get out of the car. What on earth was going on? He's not leaving me alone in here, is he?

My panic, thankfully, was short-lived. Relief swept over me when the door on my side opened. Unstrapping my seat belt, I squealed when Luke scooped me up in his arms without warning and began carrying me bridal-style. We had to be on a beach, since I could hear the ocean waves and smell the salty air, but it was so quiet that it felt as if we were the only two people out here.

“I can walk, you know,” I said brusquely, though I was secretly enjoying how nice it felt to have one of my arms around Luke’s neck and to be pressed up against his chest. This was, without a doubt, one of the best positions a girl could ever find herself in. “With or without a blindfold.”

“Uh huh,” Luke sounded skeptical, pulling me even closer to him. “I told your dad I’d keep you safe at all times and I don’t break my promises. We're here.”

Luke put me back down on the floor and my heart thudded when my feet touched the ground. This was the moment I'd been waiting for, and as annoyed as I was with the blindfold earlier, now I was thinking maybe having something to anticipate wasn't so bad. My breath hitched in my throat when Luke pulled the blindfold off my head...