Chapter 6: A Death in Morocco

Rain is pouring down, thunder roars as lightening strikes. A hooded figure makes their way to a small wooden door with NO ENTRY stenciled on it in red. The person pushes the door open and goes inside, closing the door again.

Walking into the small vault, they find that it has been set up as a home-from-home: there's a tatty sofa and a couple of hard plastic chair, and a couple of desks, one of which has an open laptop and anglepoise lamp on it. A few other lights are dotted around the room but it's still quite dark in there.

"I am an idiot. I know nothing." Sherlock said from the back of the vault, you sitting next to him, as the hooded figure pushes back the hood, revealing it to be Mary.

"Well, I've been telling you that for ages! That was quite a text you sent me." She said, smiling, as she looks around the vault.

"What's going on, Sherlock and (y/n)?" Mary asked you two.

"He was so convinced it was Moriarty, we couldn't see what was right under our nose." You said and Mary's smile fades as she looks at you two, worriedly.

"I expected a pearl." Sherlock said as he looks down at the memory stick he was holding.

Mary stares in shock and walks quickly towards you two. "Oh my God. That's a..." She trailed off before you interrupted.

"Yes, it's an AGRA memory stick like you gave John, except this one belongs to someone else. Who?" You asked.

"I don't know. We-we all had one, but the others w....Well, haven't you even looked at it yet?" Mary asked.

"We glanced at it, but we prefer to hear it from you." Sherlock said.

"Why?" Mary asked.

"Because we'll know the truth when we hear it." You replied and she walks a few paces away from you two but turns back to face you and Sherlock.

"There were four of us. Agents." She said.

"Not just agents." Sherlock said.

"Polite term. Alex; Gabriel; me; and Ajay. There was absolutely trust between us. The memory sticks guaranteed it. We all had one, each containing aliases, our background, everything. We could never be betrayed because we had everything we needed to destroy the other." Mary explained.

"Who employed you?" You asked her.

"Anyone who paid well. I mean, we were at the top of our games for years, and then it all ended. There was a couple in Georgia. The British embassy in Tbilisi was taken over; lists of hostages. We got the call to go in, get them out. There was a change of plans, a last-minute adjustment." Mary said.

"Who from?" Sherlock asked her.

"I don't know. Just another voice on the phone, and a code word, Ammo." She replied.

"Ammo?" You and Sherlock asked.

"Like ammunition. We went in, but then something went wrong. Something went really wrong. That was six years ago. Feels like forever. I was the only one that made it out." She said.

"No." Sherlock said.

"What?" Mary asked, startled.

Sherlock walks across to the table and picks up the laptop, putting the memory stick into the drive. "We met someone tonight: the same someone who's looking for the sixth Thatcher." Sherlock said as he puts the laptop down on the other table, types on it and steps away as various photographs of the man from earlier comes up on the screen.

Mary walks over to the laptop and stares at the photos and gasps. "Oh my God. That's Ajay. That's him. What, he's alive?" She asked. "Yeah, very much so." You said as Sherlock touches the bruise under his eye. "I don't believe it! This amazing! I thought I was the only one. I thought I was the only one who got out. Where is he? I need to see him now!" She said as she looks over at you and Sherlock.