four.

« rumor has it: four. »

[august 19th]

          It's been two days since I moved into my new home. So far, there have only been two most eventful things that have occurred within those two days: going to that weird party with Kurtis and managing to sleep until noon without anyone bugging me. Other than that, doesn't really feel like I'm at college yet... It kinda feels like I'm at a weird summer camp, and in a few months time, everyone here will all be an emotional wreck. 

          This was the topic of conversation with my roommate, Emily, as she set up her side of the room. Her parents moved her up mid-day yesterday but decided to let her unpack everything because she too was just as bad as bringing far too many of her belongings with her. Most of her belongings were put away at this point, but the room was still a bit cluttered with miscellaneous items of hers. The stack of flattened moving boxes continued to grow higher in the far blank corner of our room. 

          "I don't know," Emily continued, "It's kind of exciting though, you have to admit." She stuffed a handful of her socks into one of the drawers of the wardrobe. 

          I nodded while shimmying my way down to the foot of my bed, trying to avoid smacking my head on the ceiling. "Oh yeah," I teased, finding my footing on the ladder of the loft, "these past two days have been nothing but fun." 

          Emily watched in amusement as I slowly climbed down from the lofted bed. I stifled a small laugh as I watched my feel delicately find the next step to rest on. This was definitely something that would take some getting used to, sleeping seven feet off the ground and all. I swear, one of these days I'm going to just fall from the bed. 

          Another small giggle came from Emily when I sighed in relief as I reached the floor. Her hands continued to stay busy folding pants and packing them away in drawers. "I'm sure it'll get better... and more exciting," she said glancing at me with a smile. "Have you done anything fun yet? Like, I don't know, meet new people or anything?" 

          Walking over to my wardrobe, I shrugged, "Kind of."

          "What do you mean?"

          "The guy next door..." My voice trailed on as my hands rummaged through one of the drawers for a pair of jeans and a tee. After pulling my usual outfit from the drawer, I bumped it with my hip to close it and continued, "He's pretty cool, we hung out a few times; he seems like a good guy."

          "That's good!" Emily gleamed a smile appearing to have something else to say but refrained from doing so. 

          I debated on asking her what she was holding back with the silly smile, but I didn't want to create a potentially uncomfortable situation. Holding the clothes up in one hand, I swiped my room keys from my desk, and looked to Emily, "I'll be right back, I'm gonna go change in the bathroom."

          She nodded, "Okay."

          I figured she and I are still in that acquaintance phase of meeting one another so I didn't exactly feel comfortable changing in the room even though she previously mentioned that she'd be okay with it. She seems incredibly nice and all, but I can tell it's going to take a while to get past the fake pleasantness of one another; I can't solely blame her for that either, I'm far too cheesy and polite when first meeting people. I just have to bare through it.