five.

[unedited]

« rumor has it: five. »

[night of august 19th]

          Tonight was the night before classes began and everyone was doing all they could to live up their last care-free night before the chaos set in bright and early tomorrow. Emily went out with some of her old friends from high school; she invited me, but I declined because I didn't want to be the odd one out who was desperately trying to fit in. Kurtis went to hang out with some of his very interesting friends I met the other night -- he invited me to tag along as well, but I declined because I wasn't up to be socially uncomfortable around the guys again. 

         I stayed in my room for most of the night doing nothing but snacking away on junk food my parents sneaked into my suitcases for me, bless them, and watching reruns of The Office. After a while I began to become bored of that, and I ran out of Cheez-Itz, so I forced myself down from my bed to try to do something productive since it was only nine o'clock and I had done absolutely nothing with my evening. 

          The thought of classes that were only hours away began to fill my thoughts. Naturally, I was a jittery and anxious mess on the inside, but was cracking jokes in my head at my own mercy just to try to stay on the brighter side. 

          I sat in my desk chair with my knees bent and feet resting on the edge of the seat. My hair laid in a damp mess on my shoulders and my oversized tee shirt draped lazily over my body. Bra-less and with my face clear of makeup, there was nothing in the world that could make me feel more comfortable right now. It was absolute bliss (with a hint of anxiety about classes, but I'm pretending thats not a thing right now). 

•        •        •    

          Music played softly from the speaker that sat on my desk, giving a bit of life to the otherwise silent room while I scrolled through the syllabi for my classes on my laptop. I dramatically sighed and began to scroll faster through the pages. There's just so much.  I scooted both my computer and planner away from me, not wanting to see another detail of the courses. Another deep sigh emerged from me as I brought my hands up to cover my face. Resting them on my forehead, I idly sat in the chair trying to ignore the overwhelming thoughts that filled my mind.

         The otherwise silence I was in was abruptly interrupted by people down the hall. I swear to God they must have been having a conversation from either ends of the hallway because I could hear almost every word through the closed door. But a little eavesdropper like myself didn't exactly mind. I sat in quiet trying to pick up on the conversation that was taking place and sounded at least somewhat interesting.

          "Nah, I don't think I'm even gonna go to lectures tomorrow. Fuck it," one voice called out.

          Another chimed in, "Yeah that's because you have an easy semester, unlike some of us." I sensed that a bit of a bitchy look was given after he said that, but I'm just assuming at this point.  

          "Oh, boo-hoo, you're the one who wants to be an space dynamic or what-cha-ma-callit engineer."

            "Aerospace engineer, Zack. Aerospace engineer." My ears perked up at the name Zack and I realized the voices I was hearing were the guys I hung out with from the other night. This was so much more entertaining now.