[18] The Party

Step 1: Gain the Montclairs' trust and start discussing a business deal...
Only a couple of hours after Adrianna and Stephen had arrived, the party had begun in full blast. Adrianna observed from the top of the staircase, by the railings. She blocked out the sounds of the chatter and soft music that was playing and focused on searching through the throng of people holding wine glasses in their hands. Her search was complete when she saw them walking through the main doors. Eleanor and Michael walked in first, followed closely by Nicholas and a woman she recognized as one of Jasmine's friends. Jasmine herself walked in hand in hand with no other than Marcus.
Adrianna's armor cracked a bit as she gazed at Marcus. He still looked as happy as he always did, except with a bit more professionalism. His red hair was flattened down and combed back instead of his usual tousled look. The black pants and white shirt were a perfect fit, showing that he worked out during his spare time. Adrianna would know, she watched him work out with Nicolas for years back when she was in love with him.
However, she realized, a bit late, that he would never be her's. Small reminders like his tie that matched Jasmine's or Jasmine's hand holding his possessively, staking her claim would never let her forget.
She watched as Maria and Xavier went to go greet the Montclairs. She watched as the Montclairs smiled and laughed with the Hernandez. No one would have believed that their adoptive daughter who they claimed to have loved so much only went missing a little less than three weeks ago. Adrianna couldn't wait to see the happiness disappear from their faces. Only then would she get her satisfaction.
Stephen and Adrian also joined the small circle with charismatic smiles on their faces. From where she was standing, she saw their mouths move and assumed they were greeting the Montclairs. The dreamy looks on Jasmine, her friend, and oddly, Eleanor showed that they were absolutely smitten by the men.
Hook, line, and sinker! Adrianna thought in joy. Step one of her plan was now in execution. If things kept going as they were, her revenge would be complete soon.
She stared at each member of the Hernandez family as she thought about her revenge.
Eleanor and Michael deserve it. They never respected anyone who wasn't as rich as them.

Jasmine is a carbon copy of her parents. She acts like a spoiled princess who should get whatever she wants. It will be heart-breaking for her when she has to live on a budget.

Nicolas is a hard one to decide. He never did anything to me but he never did anything for me either. If only he had considered me a sister, maybe I would have been able to survive that prison.
Marcus... Marcus deserves whatever comes his way but my heart doesn't agree with me. But, I will strengthen myself before I come in front of them. Only then would I be able to take my revenge.
As if feeling her eyes on him, Marcus looked up at the exact spot Adrianna was standing. She gasped and quickly moved back into the shadows. She stood in the shadows for a couple of minutes, waiting for her beating heart to slow down. After a couple of minutes, she moved back to her original spot to see Marcus engaged in a conversation with Stephen.
Adrianna hoped he hadn't seen her or suspected it was her. If he suspected it was her, he would try to investigate. Marcus never rested until he found out what he wanted to know.
Luckily, Xavier and Maria decided to address all the guests at that time. They moved through the huge crowd to the makeshift stage. Behind the stage was a curtain that hid Maeve's painting. To make it easier for her, the stage and painting was placed so everyone's backs would be to Adrianna and she could see and hear everything.
"Can I have your attention, please?" Xavier requested. "Thank you for celebrating our son, Adrian's 24th birthday with us. Please enjoy the party! But, first Adrian would like to have a word."
Adrian walked past the crowd who parted easily and took the microphone from Xavier. "As my dad already said, thank you for coming to this party and celebrating my birthday with me. Also, thank you for the wonderful gifts and well wishes I received today. However, there is one gift that should be shared with all of you. This gift was created for me by one of my aspiring artist friends who goes by the name. Maeve." That was the cue for the curtain to be lifted. "Please give her the love and respect she deserves."
Adrianna could hear the murmurs that started as soon as the curtain was completely lifted. She watched the reactions of the people looking at her painting. They were mostly impressed. She felt proud that her work was well-received. Adrianna didn't want to admit it but she had felt nervous as the curtain was being lifted but now, everything was good. She felt like she accomplished something for the first time in her life.
She searched for the Montclairs and smirked at the impressive look on their faces. They had never realized her talent, considered it useless but now here she was.
The crowd drifted apart a little while later when food was being served. A few people still stood around the painting, examining it. Adrianna was looking at those people and didn't realize when Stephen had stood next to her.
"Hungry?" He asked, scaring her. Her stomach decided to reply by growling at that moment. Stephen chuckled and held out a plate of food. Adrianna grabbed the plate and started eating. She hadn't realized how hungry she was until she took a bite of the pasta. "Many people are impressed by your painting. The stacks of business cards are dwindling by the minute. I expect you to get many offers by tomorrow," he hesitated for a minute and then continued "I'm- everyone's proud of you, Adrianna."
Adrianna gave him a genuine smile. "Thank you."
Stephen cared for her, Adrianna thought, if only Marcus was more like Stephen.
***

So, I tried updating early this time. I hope you guys liked the chapter. Funny thing is that as I was writing this chapter, I realized that Jasmine was also the name of someone I don't really like in one of my classes. How ironic!

How did you guys like the chapter? Tell me your thoughts in the comments!

Keep Reading
-R