Three

Year One

"Alright, children, welcome to your first day of class. I will be teaching you how to use a levitation spell." 

I used the swish and flick motion that the teacher had taught us to do, and immediately, the feather on my table started to float. I grinned and moved my wand around and the feather copied its motions. 

I glanced at Newt next to me, who was too concentrated in trying to get the swish and flick motion to notice my success. I smirked when an idea popped into my head.

I slowly lowered my wand and pointed it and Newt and the feather followed, floating lower and lower till it touched his neck lightly. 

Newt jumped in the air and fell back off of his chair. I couldn't keep it in and burst out laughing along with the rest of the class. Newt's face was about as red as a tomato and he gave me an angry look. 

I immediately stopped laughing. "I-I'm sorry Newt, it was just a joke." I offered my hand to help him up, but next thing I know I'm pulled onto the ground next to him.  

I look over at Newt and he's grinning at me, and I smile back. We laughed on the ground while everyone laughed at us, but we just ignore them because at the moment, Newt and I together are the only two people that mattered.

The teacher came around to see why everyone was so distracted.

"Newt! Eve! 5 points from Hufflepuff each!"

❦    ❦    ❦

❦    ❦    ❦

"Honestly, Gryffindor totally cheated!" I laughed and reminisced the previous quidditch game. 

"I know, they're little dirty cheaters." Leta Lestrange sighed and shook her head. 

Newt shrugged his shoulders. "Nothing we can do about it now." 

All three of us walked down to the lake and sat on the edge, staring into the dark waters. 

We usually did this a lot, during the days we are free and have no classes, we just sit by the lakes and watch the creatures swim by. 

"HA! Look at this spider I just found!" Leta picked up a fairly large arachnid and shook it around. The creature squealed and tried to fight her off. 

"HEY! Leta! Watch it!!" I lunged for her and snatched the spider from her hands before it would get hurt.

"What? It's just a spider." Leta watched me in disgust as she petted the spider gently.

"It's a living creature, Leta." Newt kneeled next to me and watched the spider intensely. It seemed to pur under my touch. 

This spider was huge compared to the ones I had seen in my previous home, about the size of an outstretched human hand, though it seemed to be only a baby.