Twenty

I slowly felt rage bubble inside of me as Mr. Graves started yelling at the aurors. "You fools! Do you realize what you've done?!" Madame Piquery replied in an even tone, "The obscurial was killed on my orders, Mr. Graves." 

I whipped my head around and would've given her the slap of her life if Newt hadn't held me back. "Yes," Mr. Graves nodded solemnly, "and history will surely note that, Madame President."

"What was done here was not right!" I cried out, my voice cracking. 

"Ms. Garner. I am ashamed of you. It was responsible for the death of a no-maj. He risked the exposure of our community. He has broken one of our most sacred laws---"

"A law that has us scuttling like rats in the gutter!" Graves laughed sarcastically, a maniacal look in his eyes. "A law that we demands that we conceal our true nature! A law that directs those under its dominion to cower in fear lest we risk discovery! I ask you, Madame President, I ask all of you," He looked around the room at all of us, "who does this law protect? Them? Or us?"

His speech was met with shocked silence. He just shook his head. "I refuse to bow down any longer."

Madame Piquery stepped forward courageously, "Aurors, I would like you to relieve Percival Graves of his wand and escort him back---" And with that, all hell broke loose.

The man began throwing spells left and right, each one hitting an auror and causing them to fly backwards. He had projected a shield in front of him that protected him from other incoming spells.

The group of aurors were beginning to lose, badly. Newt released his Swooping Evil. It flew in front of the aurors and protected them from Grave's onslaught of magic. I took the time to quickly shift into my animagus panther form and roared loudly, charging forward and tackling Graves. He slid forward face-first on the ground for a good few yards. Newt quickly conjured a rope that wrapped itself around Graves's hands as I hopped off his back. 

"Accio!" His wand flew into Tina's shaky hands. Graves had been defeated. 

I stalked forward, Tina and Newt behind me. Newt aimed his wand at Graves, "Revealio."

My eyes widened as I saw his dark hair slowly turn white, his face morphed into one that I'd seen in plenty wizard newspapers these past few months. 

Madame Piquery stepped up to his kneeled form, a look of triumph on her face. "Do you think you can hold me?" The dark wizard sneered. "We will try our best, Mr. Grindelwald." The President responded boldly.

2 aurors grabbed him the arms and forced him up. As he was led past us, he stopped. "Will we die just a little?" He asked us creepily. He then looked at me, "See you again, pussy cat." He spat. I straightened myself fearlessly. He just smirked before being led out of the subway.

I let out a sigh and morphed back to my human form, deflated. "I think I'm gonna take a day off from work tomorrow," I said before leaning on Newt's shoulder. He just laughed and stroked my hair.

"Teenie?" The 3 of us turned to see Queenie and Jacob running towards us. "Oh thank Merlin!" She squeeled and gave her sister a tight hug. Jacob walked up to Newt with the suitcase in his hands. "So...I guess we won't have to look after this after all." I grinned and threw my arms around his neck, all too happy to be alive. 

I suddenly heard a small "Ahem." It was Madame Piquery, who stood smiling at the 5 of us. "We owe you all an apology." She said calmly. "But the magical community is exposed! We cannot obliviate the entire city." 

Newt gave me an all-too-familiar look before saying, "Actually, I think we can."

❦   ❦   ❦