I need a lawyer

Shit he gotta pee. Feeling dizzy Ian got up and went to the bathroom. When he was done he headed straight back to his room but heard a voice that he hadn't heard in a while. It was Mandy's.

First he was surprised because she hadn't told him she was back on South Side, but then he realized he had switched off his phone. He was about to go downstairs to say hi to his best friend when he heard Fiona saying: "Lip's at college and Ian's sleeping so..." and Mandy interrupted her by saying: "I came to see you. I need a lawyer. A good one." Ian stopped halfway down the stairs. Two steps more and they would see him. He waited. "Why?" Fiona had the same question as Ian.

"It's Mickey." His heart skipped a beat and he tried to breath as quietly as possible. Why would Mandy need to get a lawyer for Mickey? Why now? But mainly just one sentence was digging in his mind: Maybe he's getting out.

"What about him?" Fiona wanted to know and Ian pulled himself together with all strength he had so he wouldn't just run into the kitchen, shake Mandy and scream at her to tell him what the hell was up with Mickey.

"Terry" she said. It was one word. One simple name. He couldn't breath. His legs gave in and he sank onto the stairs. No. This couldn't be true. "He got transferred" Mandy continued "And I don't know how I can get Mickey out of there, I just know I need to otherwise..." She stopped, obviously trying not to start crying.

He glanced around the corner and saw Fiona hugging Mandy. She didn't say anything and Ian knew it was because there was nothing she could say. They stood there for a little while, Fiona's arms wrapped around Mandy who was now sobbing. Ian just sat on the cold step still trying to breath properly. Why? Why did this happen? Wasn't prison enough? Wasn't not being able to talk to Mickey, not being able to even see him enough?

"I can get you the number of the lawyer I had when I became legal guardian of my siblings but I don't really know if he's good. I just had him this time." Mandy snuffled. "But you got the guardian ship, right?" Fiona nodded. "And he's not that expensive..."

"Well I got an okay job now so that shouldn't be a problem" Mandy said "Who would have guessed that I would ever say something like that." Fiona smiled weakly and so did Mandy. "Thank you though."

"Of course" Fiona answered and Mandy turned around to leave. "Wait!" Fiona said. She hesitated as Mandy looked back at her. "Just... please don't tell Ian. I don't want to upset him... He's having a hard time although I don't really know why and..." "Okay" Mandy simply agreed and left.

At the thought of being alone Fiona sighedheavily and buried her face in her hands. Ian just wanted to be hugged by her,he needed someone to tell him it was gonna be okay but it wasn't gonna be okay.It wasn't going to be okay. He couldn't move. Couldn't think. Couldn't feel. Hedidn't know how much time passed until he saw Fiona right in front of him. Shekneeled down on the lower step and wiped the tears off his face. He hadn'tnoticed them and when he did he still couldn't stop them. She said nothing. Shejust hugged him, hold him tight so he wouldn't fall apart, break into pieces.Raspy sobs came out of his throat agitating his body. It seemed like they weresitting on the cold steps forever but finally Fiona pulled him up. "You heardwhat Mandy said?" she asked although it was obvious that he did. Ian nodded anda few seconds later added: "I dumped Caleb." She looked at him surprised. "Youwanna talk about it?" Ian shook his head. She closed her eyes releasing a longsigh. "Let's go to bed" she said, leading him upstairs and into her room. Helaid down and she covered him in her blanket before she went to brush herteeth. Five minutes later she crawled next to him under the blanket. He closedhis eyes. The darkness of the room was threatening but Fiona was here, takingcare of him. His big sister hold him and eventually he fell asleep, his eyesstill wet.