Free

Sammi actually hadn't fucked it up. She had given her the money and before they separated – hopefully forever – Mandy had reminded her not to go for more money to keep her mouth shut since she had beebe be been on loyalty oath this time.

The door opened and he stepped outside. Still limping. Still looking like shit. But alive. And free. Mandy ran towards her brother and wrapped her arms around him. They just stood there for a few minutes, Mandy holding him so tight as she would never want to let go of him. But finally she did and looked at her brother. She hadn't thought that it was even possible but Mickey had more cuts than two days ago and he clearly was in pain. But the look in his eyes was intense and a little lighter. "Thank you" he said "I can never make this up to you and I..."

"Shut the fuck up" Mandy snapped "You don't have to. I got you back and that's more than enough."

"Hey, can I say hello to my piece of shit ex-husband" a woman said from behind in her strong Russian accent. Mandy stepped aside and Svetlana rushed towards Mickey pining him down into a long hug. Then it was Iggy's turn who gave Yevgeny to Mandy before hugging his little brother as well. He was the closest sibling to Mickey after her and although Mandy knew that they both weren't really much of huggers she could tell this was an important moment for them.

Finally they went to Iggy's car, Mickey holding Yevgeny in his arms and talking to him quietly. They got into the car and drove to Mandy's apartment out of South Side. She had decided to let Mickey stay at hers for a while so she could look after him because she wasn't sure about his current condition. During the drive Svetlana was talking non stop of her life with three kids and two partners which was annoying and oddly calming at the same time. The others remained silent until Iggy stopped because they had reached Mandy's apartment. Mickey gave Yevgeny back to Svetlana who promised that she would visit them as soon as possible. Then they said bye and Mandy and Mickey were alone in the cold white winter when the car left. "Come on let's get inside" Mandy said grabbing her brothers arm, leading him towards the front door of the building. He didn't push her away. Didn't grunt that he could walk alone. Just let her do it and Mandy's worries got bigger. Neither of them said anything as they got inside and walked up the stairs. They were slow because Mickey had trouble walking and also seemed to have some pain in his side as he held it while he was going upstairs.

When they got to Mandy's floor she quickly fished her keys out of her purse and unlocked the door of her home. This apartment was something she was actually proud of. It was small and not in the best neighborhood but it was very cozy and – other than the Milkovich house – clean. It was a place that really felt like a home for Mandy although she would always like their house on the South Side no matter how shitty it was and how much terrible things had happen there.

"Yeah, so this is the living room and the kitchen" she said as they walked inside and Mickey took a quick glance around. "Wow" he said and Mandy answered: "You don't have to pretend you're interested in this shit." She smiled as he flipped her off. There he was, the old Mickey. She gave him a tour through the apartment, showed him her bedroom, the bathroom and the room Mickey was going to sleep in. When they were done and back in the living room she asked him: "You wanna eat something?" He shook his head. "Okay how about a movie?"

"I think I'm just gonna shower and go to bed." "Okay" Mandy replied "I got some of your clothes before we picked you up. I will just put in your room okay?" "Uh-um."

As the days went by they got some kind of routine. They would get up around 9 and make breakfast and both shower. Then Mandy went out to go shopping or for a run or something like that and Mickey stayed at home. It took Mandy three days until she got him to go for a walk with her and another three to take him to do grocery shopping. In the evenings they ate dinner before Mandy got ready for work. When she was gone Mickey listened to music, watched TV or just went to bed. Mandy knew he hated being alone although he would never admit it. Every couple days Svetlana showed up with Yevgeny and these were the only times when Mickey's eyes lightened up and a weak smile appeared on his face.

About one week after he got out of prison, Mandy was in the kitchen laying the couch table and waiting for the Thai food they had ordered. The doorbell rang. "Mickey!" she yelled "Dinner's ready.

She went for the door and opened it expecting tosee the delivery man but instead she looked into some green well knowneyes. She froze. "Ian. What are youdoing here!?"