Chapter 3

"Are you nervous, or what?" asks Mindy, my closest Candor friend.

"No," I reply, because it's true. I've planned this since I was 10. I know what faction I will choose, and I know what will happen when I do; sort of. I still don't know what Erudite initiation involves, but I know I can pass it. I will pass it. "I'm guessing you are?"

"Oh, God yes," she says, laughter in her tone. "I have absolutely no idea what faction I will choose."

Whether she knows it or not, that's a lie. I know what faction she will choose. She will choose Candor, because that's where her boyfriend, Alexanda will be. He chose Candor last year, for his choosing ceremony. Besides, I can't really see Mindy any where but Candor. She wouldn't belong anywhere else.

We walk inside the large hall, where each faction is seated in their section. Abnegation, quietly sit on their seats, avioding eye contact and conversation with eachother. Amity, laughing and giggling and talking little giddy school children, and spread across their section, only half seated. Dauntless, shouting and laughing, are the loudest group, sprawled over their seats, climbing on eachother and excitedly exchanging conversation. Erudite sits somewhat calmly and patiently in their seats, some talking, others waiting. Candor, much like Erudite, are half talking, half silent. One group at the back are exchanging thoughts on a debate about something I can't quite make out. Probably something petty and pointless.

Mindy finds her parents near the back and sits with them, while I take my seat somewhere in the middle of the Candor crowd next to mine. Then, the leader of Abnegation, a young man in his twenties with dark brown hair, Marcus, begins talking over the crowds, asking for silence. He makes his speech about the faction system, and the ceremony begins.

One by one, the names are called out. I don't pay much attention to the others, until the Abnegation man calls Mindy's name.

"Mindy Takonath," he shouts.

I see her make her way up to the five factions bowls, and take a knife. Mindy and I met five years ago, in school. She always came off as abrupt and slightly annoying to me, but we still became friends. I never told her about my Erudite plan, the factionless man, or my divergence. I've come to realise Mindy is not the person you can trust keep a secret. No Candor is.

She stares at the five bowls, evaluating each option. Her eyes shift from one bowl, to another, and I start to doubt my opinion on her. Could she be divergent, too? No, maybe not. She digs the knife into her palm and waits, covering the wound. Mindy isn't divergent. She can't be. I was so sure she was Candor. She never lies? With one swift movement, she pulls her hand over the bowl of clear water, and releases the blood. Erudite. Erudite. She chose Erudite.

I don't say anything. No one does. I hear her father two rows behind me gasp. Erudite. Why? Why would Mindy, the most honest, and Candor person I know, besides my parents, chose Erudite? Maybe she has plans, like me. The crowd of Erudite applaud her, and she takes a seat with them. I try to catch her eye, but she only looks forward.

My name will be soon. I evaluate the situation, for as long as I can. I have never, not once, veiwed Mindy as an Erudite. Ever. Maybe I didn't know her as well as I thought? Maybe we both had secrets we didn't trust eachother with.

"Therese Sullivn," the Abnegation leader shouts.

At first I don't recognise my own name. When I realise he is talking to me, I get up from my seat and push past the Candor around me. My mother squeezes my hand on my way out, as if to wish me good luck. It then occurs to me that she didn't say anything to me about my test, yesterday. She mustn't trust me. She must know. I smile at her and my father, and walk up to the front of the room.