Chapter 3

Ash had just checked out of her hotel room. As soon as she was out the door she started to quicken her pace, she didn’t want them to realize that the money was actually leaves when she was around. She had to find somewhere else to stay, had to get some real money. She turned the corner and saw a glimpse of yellow out of the corner of her eye. Startled, she turned in a defensive position, thinking it was someone watching her. She was in front of an alley, steam from the sewers rising up from the ground. Cautiously she began to walk forward, slowly reaching into her hair to pull out her throwing pins. Ash was shaking on the inside, beginning to get a little scared.

Something in front of her caught her attention; it was slowly rising from a manhole, a big black shadow. Terrified she turned around and began to run. She knew what that thing was, and she also knew she couldn’t outrun it in the city. He was one of the Unseelie Court’s best knights, and a shape shifter. But how did they find her so quickly? More importantly, how did they know where to search? There was no time to think about that now. Ash knew that the woods were just ahead, right across the little park she had crossed the previous night. If she could get into the safety of the trees before the knight got her, she would be safe for a little while. Enough time to figure out where to hide.

Racing across the street, through the park and diving into the forest, Ash had just missed being caught. The knight had barely brushed her shoulders by the time she got under the trees. Breathing heavily, Ash leaned against a boulder. She guessed that she had about three or four hours until the knight got brave enough to come after her. The only reason she was safe for the limited amount of time was because she was so close to the Seelie Court.

As her breath slowly returned to her, Ash heard a twang and then felt a sharp pain in her side. She looked down and saw an arrow sticking out of her; it was tipped with iron, she could feel her insides burning. Unfortunately faeries are extremely allergic to iron. Ash fell to the ground in pain, crying out. I should have hidden behind the boulder, not in plain view! She thought bitterly. The sky had turned a dark grey and rain started to fall, quickly drenching the ground.

Ash cried out again as she tried to pull the arrow out. She couldn’t, the wood had traces of iron in it too. She knew that if she didn’t find someone soon she would die. But she couldn’t move anywhere to find help. Her only choice was to sit there and wait for her impending death. It is still freedom - better do be dead than a breeding slave.

********

Renzo was in a terrible mood. He was mad at Akim for making a fool of him in front of two extremely gorgeous women. Walking seemed to be the only way to clear his head. But about halfway into his walk it had started to rain. ‘Curse you!’ he swore under his breath. Since he was already mad, he just decided to keep walking.

It was just as he was passing through the small park that he heard a cry; Renzo stopped, wondering if it was his mind playing tricks on him. But then he heard it again, this time louder. He turned and looked at the forest, wondering if he should go to check. ‘Curse it all!’ he muttered and ducking under a low canopy of pine branches came into a small clearing. There seemed to be a boulder right in the middle and taking up most of the space; in the darkness it was hard to tell. Renzo was not easily scared, but right about now it was starting to get creepy and he seriously thought about turning back to the road. He stopped suddenly when someone called out to him.

“Why are you here?” It was a woman’s voice. Renzo turned back slowly and saw her lying against the big rock.

“I heard a noise as I was walking and I thought I’d check in case someone was in trouble.” He didn’t know if she heard him or not because there was a long pause of silence. The woman turned towards him, her brilliantly green eyes making his breath catch in his throat. She was crouched down, looking ready to fight if she had to.

“D-d-do you need help?” He stuttered.

“Yes…” She said cautiously, narrowing her eyes.

“I won’t hurt you.” He said, crouching down to her level, slowly offering his hand like someone would to a wounded animal. Just then he saw what looked like a stick jutting out from her side.

“Please let me help. You could die if we don’t get that out.” Renzo said, inching a little closer.

“I know.” The woman said, her eyes shining at him defiantly. Renzo had moved a little closer.

“Put your hand on the shaft and pull it free, but do it quickly, it hurts like hell.” She smiled a bit at that, which made Renzo smile with her. Then, remembering the seriousness of the situation, he grabbed the end of the stick and pulled hard. The woman cried out grabbing her side, making him wince. He threw the stick to the ground and tried to find something to stop the bleeding, the only thing he found was his shirt. He took it off and ripped it into thick long pieces, then wrapped it around her side. The woman opened her eyes, looking down at his handy work, astonished.

“I didn’t even hear you rip the cloth.” She said, her eyes flashing. Renzo shrugged and helped her to her feet.

“Here, lean on me. We should get you to a hospital; otherwise you might bleed to death.” She laughed, as if laughing to her own private joke.

“I don’t need a hospital.” She turned her smile onto him. It was scary to behold, but Renzo steadied himself.

“What’s your name?” He asked to keep up the conversation. She paused for a bit, looking like she was trying to decide whether to tell him or not.

“Ash, and yours?” She said finally.

“Renzo but you can call me....” Ash collapsed and he barely caught her in his arms. Since she didn’t want to go to a hospital, the least he could do is get her to the hotel and use some antiseptic from the med kit on her wound.

They were already across the park when the rain stopped and the sun came out. Renzo looked down and almost dropped his precious cargo as he beheld such beauty as he had never seen before. He righted himself and almost sprinted all the way to the hotel with a wide grin on his face and his heart drumming a beat out in his chest.

The looks on their faces will be priceless! Akim would probably drop his drumsticks in amazement and Paul will do a guitar solo after just one glance at Ash! And Aric? He would probably pretend that he’s meditating – he always says that nothing could ever make him loose his ‘zen’. But he’ll be strumming the bass soon enough!  With these thoughts Renzo, the lead singer of a famous rock band sped along street after street, his short muscular frame swaying with the weight in his arms, black hair sticking out in all directions and green eyes shining with mischief.