PROLOGUE

When children think about growing up, they think of a crazy career and probably getting married.

Not Penelope Artemis Hatchet.

When Penelope Artemis Hatchet thought about growing up, she thought about dying. She thought about dying and becoming a star in the heavens. She thought about being with people who loved her.

Penelope Artemis Hatchet was alone in the world. She had no mother and her father had died when she was a baby. She had been abandoned in the woods with nothing but a blanket and a book about her kind.

Most small children would have died, but not Penelope. She had her wolf, a beautiful silver and black wolf named Nova. As Penelope grew, she learned how to survive like a wolf. Every night, she poured her attention to the book on werewolves and learned about herself.

When Penelope was twelve, she shifted for the first time.

When Penelope was fourteen, she was discovered by a woman dressed in silver stars. The woman took her in her arms and laid her by the edge of the forest.

Penelope Artemis Hatchet had moonlight in her veins and she never noticed until the woman found her. The Moon Goddess herself had carried Penelope to safety and to family.

At seventeen, Penelope Artemis Hatchet was taken from her pack once more.