CHAPTER SIX:APOLLO

Persephone may have been able to kick me out of my room, but she couldn't keep me from listening to their conversation. Much to Leo's dismay, I instantly crouched with my ear against the door and tried to hear as much as I could.

"Heat?"

"Heat. Oh, darling, you're in for such a treat. You're so innocent, it hurts."

My body began to heat up, my skin going slick with sweat. I could see it in my mind's eye, having helped keep Leo under control when Persephone went into heat once or twice. My wolf was growling, urging me to burst through the door and mark Penelope, to feel her soft skin beneath my hands.

"Apollo?" Leo put his hand on my shoulder. "You should leave them alone." His voice implied that he knew what I was hearing. "Let's go."

"You can't tell me what to do." I growled, shrugging him off. He was probably right, but my body and my wolf wanted me to stay, to imagine what Penelope in heat would be like. I usually wasn't so horny, but having my mate so close was making me strange.

"Apollo, you said you'd leave them alone. We should go." Leo tried to drag me away, but I let out an animalistic growl, baring my teeth. I knew my chocolate brown eyes were glowing with an amber ring around the iris, showing Leo I meant business.

"Go away." I snarled, breathing hard. Leo looked me over and backed away, walking in the direction of his room.

I snapped out of my wolfish trance and looked down, following what Leo would have been seeing. My bare chest was glistening with sweat, the many scars littering my skin standing out against my pale tone. A little farther down, my sweatpants did nothing to conceal what my thoughts were centered on. "Shit." I muttered, standing up and trying to push the topic of Penelope out of my head.

"I thought you said a guy's day." Persephone's voice sent a sudden panic down my spine. "This is not what I thought you meant."

"Hey Persephone..." I glanced at her over my shoulder, clasping my hands in front of my hips. "I was just catching my breath. Your mate is really good at hide and go seek tag."

"Uh-huh. You know, for the son of the alpha, you're a terrible liar." Persephone's eyes zeroed in on my hips. "And you're really bad at hiding your boner. Be happy that Penelope fell asleep about five minutes into Heathers, or I'd be dragging her out here to laugh at you." She sighed and glanced back at my bed. "Poor thing is exhausted. I don't think she's slept this well in months, maybe years."

My wolf began to whimper and I slowly walked towards my bed, an overwhelming sorrow washing through my body. I could see her curled up underneath the blankets, her small body clutching the covers against herself.

"She kept snuggling deeper into the blankets. I think it's because you keep wearing your cologne to bed." Persephone raised an eyebrow. "She doesn't even know that her wolf is reacting like this. She didn't even know that you would feel distress when you two weren't touching."

"I can't get her out of my head. Last night, I didn't want to let go of her. She was so hesitant to fall asleep because I was there, but I've never slept so nicely. It like being a baby all over again, being held in my mother's arms." I chuckled. "She put her hand above my heart and the world seemed to stop turning."

Persephone pushed me forward, a proud smile on her face. "Let her know that she can trust you. I'm locking you in here anyway."

Before I could protest, Persephone sprinted out of the door and slammed it behind her. The lock clicked, mixing with her maniacal cackling.