↜4↝

Present day
(A big time jump)

Darcy's POV

"Baby let me tell you a story." Ma states as she bends to pull the cotton boll from the brown burr.

"What about ma?" I ask placing my hands on my lips squinting my eyes to get a better view of her.

"About little ol' Colis right there." She points her finger at the confused new young man mockingly.

"What about me?" Colis awkwardly smiles shifting on his feet.

"So Colis liked this woman when he was younger. She was a beautiful shade of dark chocolate and her hair was always hidden underneath a scarf." I watch as mama reminisces the moment with glee.

"Mom not this story please!" Colis shoots me a glare as I shrug trying to hide my smile.

"One day he just ran up to her with a couple of withering daisies in his hand to give to her. To find out daisies did not like him." Mama points between me and him.

"Hidden between the daisies was a bee Darcy. A bee!" Ma drops the cotton to grab ahold of her stomach.

"That bee was pissed. He buzzed around the poor woman and headed straight for Colis' nose!"

"He had a bump on his nose for days!"

"And still to this day. If you look ever so closely" she grabs my arm and pulls me over to Colis, "you can still see where that sucker stung some sense into my boy!" Mama starts laughing like there was no tomorrow.

Her laughter was so contagious even the embarrassed Colis couldn't conceal his laughter through his ashy fingers! I had to admit a few giggles left my lips as well.

I dare not ask what happened to that older woman.

Time went on, Colis and I developed much over the years but we still were unsure of our ages. Ma tried to keep track of mine through the events of storms and Colis' through the days it snowed. Eventually she explained age won't benefit us so she gave up. Just like that. I could not blame her though, our birthdays were the least of her worries.

Our fits of laughter dimmed as we saw the frail Daria approach us with a stern look. Daria was a pretty elder woman, a sweet milky chocolate color with plump lips and encapsulating eyes with a scar right below the left one. She was too, a damaged beauty.

"Darcy. You are needed in the kitchen." Daria approaches me with urgency. It is not often when I'm in the kitchen unless there are last minute arrangements made.

Today was the day of Master Styles' son's returns from his army training located somewhere up North. From obedience school to army training Master Styles did anything he could to make that boy grasp a submissive mindset.

My thin shoes crunch against the leaves as I begin to whistle a soft tune. Daria hears my sound and shoots me a glare. Quickly I shut my lips and look up to avoid her harsh stare.

When I reach the inside I am greeted by a contrast of cool air rather than the seething heat from outside. I let out a sigh as I survey my surroundings. I haven't been in here in a long time and there were definitely changes. The big white house was no longer white, ever since years started to show on the tanning house, instead of buying better shelters for us, they remodel their already beautiful home. The big white house I used to adore now annoys me in the color of baby blue. However the high extravagant white ceilings decorated with a large crystal chandelier swaying gently, still encapsulated me.

My gawking at the ceiling was ruined when right below the chandelier I hear the laughter of men. I look down to see. Master Styles and his son conversing right below the chandelier adorn with beautiful suits.