↜8↝

Just wanted to thank these users really quick!
@sule_arat
@gabygabyve
@DajBeige
@stylestmh
🍂

Darcy's POV

Silence.
That's all I received, from everyone.

My Colis, my brother, my blood even turns his scarring back towards me. Mama, oh mama looks at me like I am Satan himself. 

Shuffling amongst the autumn leaves, my heart leaps when my ears catch the sound of distant mutters. Being the nosy person I am, I creep closer to make out what is being said.

I hear my mama whispering to herself while raking the stubborn colorful leaves, "Lord I asked, I begged, I sacrificed, I did everything in my willpower to be granted with a baby boy. Instead you burdened me with a girl. I ain't wan' a baby girl suffer through this. If not a boy I said bring her death. I said let her come out still as stone. But no ya brought me a green eyed paled face black baby. Her daddy ain't-"

"Mama?" She halts, she becomes frozen in her place before recollecting herself and looks me in the eyes.

"What have I done? I ain't do nothin' wrong!" I stomp, the leaves around us began to swarm in a frenzy around us as it surrenders to the harsh thrusts of the wind.

"It ain't about you! It's about me! Everythin' falls onto me chil' can't ya see! Don't ya ever wonder why you are the only one with those eyes! The only one who's hair ain't fully nappy! The only one so pale even though the sun darkens all of us! Don't ya!" Mama throws the rake to the floor. Her red scarf vigorously flapping in the wind.

"No full blood negro look like ya before!" She points at me accusingly.

I did not cry at her words. I merely grit my teeth in frustration. Tears isn't going to help me. Nothing at this point will.

"Mama tell me. Tell me what I can do to make you love me again! I-I will give you my portion of food,
Or-or take over some of ya jobs. I know you be hurtin' sometimes. I-"

"No baby. I can never stop lovin ya. That might be the hardest thing a mother can do. Stop lovin' the life they brought." She shakes her head.

My knees buckle as a leaf lightly slaps against my cheek. "Who's my daddy mama?"

"That is not a path I wanna go down right now. J-just be careful."

"Mama t-the mark. I-it was-"

"Lets ignore that. I don't know wha' came over me when I smack ya. I guess I saw me. I saw a foolish young Mitilde in ya eyes. In yo' naive, ignorant green eyes." She rasps.

"Mit-Mitlde? Was that-"

"No that was me. Not her" she grumbles while handpicking some leaves from the ground. "Get back to work."

I sigh and stomp away. Mama always does this, she always tries to hide what she's feeling. When things start to urge onto an emotional conversation or tears, she turns the other cheek and never looks back. I on the other hand sheds the tears and bleeds out the emotions. Maybe I should learn how to seal myself up like mama.

Other than the struggle to get on that level with her I was glad that we had some type of atonement.

Mama and I made amends..sort of.
I learnt a little about her..sort of.
Now it's time to confront Colis..sort of.

I prepared myself for the worst. Sure, talking to mama about something that is "bad" is a struggle. But standing up to the one who sees you as a grandiose angelic doll that was tainted by a mans touch is not the image an older brother wants to see. Especially when he knows in his heart he cannot do anything to stop the actions of the rolling ball.

"Colis" I whisper, watching his bare back shiver. He lets out a grunt while picking up a few blocks of wood from the ground.

"Shouldn't you be workin'" he snarls at me. "Or does little white boy got ya on time out."

"Colis stop this childish behavior. He has a name." I defended him absentmindedly.

"So you admit it! It's wasn't one of us." His voice becomes distant as he takes long strides away from me.

"Colis, don't be mad. It's not my fault I-"

I nearly bumped into him due to his sudden halt.

"You think I don't know that! I know it ain't you! There ain't a lick of corruption in those doe eyes of yours! It hurts that I stand no match to him. Can't ya see! I'm failin! I'm failin as a big brother 'cause I can't protect ya! I can't ever protect anyone I love." His voice cracks as he looks at me with pleading eyes. Even though he was very much taller than me physically. Something in his dirt brown eyes exerts the strong feeling that he is looking up at me.

"I-I" the truth is, I am lost for words. All these twists and turns of emotions attacking me from mama and Colis just moments after each other are starting to make my brain hurt.

No one will let me talk about how I felt about this new mark branded on my neck for God knows how long. I do not know what it signifies, I don't know what it implies, honestly, the rush of it all kind of made it...intriguing.

But I know I shouldn't indulge in these actions. For mama and Colis claims that it is a horrid crime. They couldn't even let me make out a sentence without interrupting me with their harsh tones.

"Get to work doll. A storm is comin' we have a lot to prepare for." Colis eventually rests the blocks of wood roughly in a staggering pile.

There goes our amends..sort of.

I swallow down the sudden feeling that lodged itself in my throat. Biting the inside of my lip I realized, I was thirsty. Ignoring it, I drag my confused, worn out body down the familiar path.

I crouch down in the multitude of white fluff with a groan.

I meddle with the cotton between my fingertips. It was soft. Of course I knew that from when I was young but now I begin to wonder. Surely this must be how the clouds feel? They must feel like thick cotton puffs that God handpicked himself to gently place within the blue sky. I wonder though, when the birds soar through the clouds, does it tickle when it grazes across their wings as they set forth their journey? Or does it hinder their sight, as it works to obstruct them from moving forth gracefully in the unclear sky?

If the latter, they are like me. I am rendered sightless in the mass of corruption, destruction, and oppression we call America. I cannot move forward when I am kept wings clipped and feet tied with a blindfold over my eyes.

I look to my left, there was no one. I turn my head to the right, still nobody in sight. So I crane my head forward, to see the couplets or groups of other black slaves working together. And here I am alone while my thoughts mingled with one another to the loud chimes of many questions.

I choke back a sob as tears raced down my cheeks.

I'm truly alone, I am truly different, I am-

"A pretty lady like you shouldn't have to work a day in your life." A masculine voice echoes behind me. "I can fix that."

______
For some reason I had to rewrite this whole chapter because it didn't save. I felt like I died inside.
Drop a vote or a comment literally please lol I hope I didn't lose anyone yet..the storm is comin soon!
Dedicated to shadesofstyles & dxddyxhxrry