↜5↝

Darcy's POV

I gather a small tin pail from inside of the shed and trudge towards this little faucet little ways away from my home. My feet ache and the heat targeted me while I was on my journey. Hopefully, I will be alone and I can make this visit short. However, I am not. A lean figure perched himself against the faucet as though he was waiting for someone to meet him there. I divert my gaze to the grass as I slightly make my way towards him.

"May I use the faucet sir?" I ask, keeping my head low.

"Ya know, you can call me Harry." His response was flat as he pushes himself away from the faucet. The white man stood tall, his earthy green eyes glimmered in the sun rays and his brown slightly curly hair fell nicely a little past his shoulders.

He caught me staring so I looked away.

"Sorry sir, I cannot" I admit, after witnessing the damage my brother went through with this same man I wanted to avoid him at all cost. This man is no good. He is as good as a lifeless crop in my hands, I will not benefit from him, instead, I would get the blame for such a crime.

"It is rude to not make eye contact when having a conversation." I hear, his heavy footsteps approach me. Soon I saw the toes of his worn out boots in my vision.

"Sorry sir" I look up at him, it seems like I caught him off guard as he stepped away from me.

"You may use the faucet" he states creating a greater distance between me, him, and the faucet. I purse my lips and I twist the rusty knob and waited for the water to rush out.

As I gathered water in the pail, I felt my feet seep deeper into the mud forming underneath my feet. I shut it off with an aggravated huff.

"Would you like me to accompany on your walk back? I was heading there anyway." The man speaks up again.

I decline his offer and fix my hair from falling on my face.

His features drop. His hopeful eyes were hit with the realization that us two should not mingle. I am pretty sure he is recollecting the damage that was done to Colis when his face scowled.

"Was that man back there your boyfriend or something?" He asks, pressing his hands into his pockets.

"No sir."

"Well.. then who is he?" This time he avoids all eye contact.

"He is my brother sir." I clipped

"Oh..I can walk with you"

"No thank you, sir" I muster to say.

"It's no trouble"

This is a test. I feel it. I can practically see the betrayal hidden somewhere on his face.

I shake my head at him again as begin my journey back to my brother whose wounds needed to be attended to. When I got back, I grabbed the baby blue head rag that was used to cover me as a small child and dunked it underneath the chilled water.

"Come 'ere boy!" I urge Colis' beaten body to lay across my lap. I grab the cloth and press it gently against one the smaller wounds.