Chapter 1: Kidnapped

A/N: Still don't own HP. Or Draco :(

Torches sputtered in their brackens along every few meters of the imposing stone walls of Hogwarts, doing nothing to ward of the icy cold drafts even in the bowels of the enormous castle. The young Muggleborn witch walking along the lonely dungeon corridor pulled her cloak closer to her body with a shudder. It was going to be a cold winter, she guessed, since it was still mid-October. The stark flickering shadows made every turn and corner in the corridor seem foreboding and sinister.

Hermione Granger stopped outside the entrance to the Slytherin common room and muttered the password under her breath.

'Harry Potter is my hero.'

As Head Girl, she had the doubtful honour of assigning all house passwords. She smirked, picturing the expression on Malfoy's face as he was forced to say the password multiple times a day. Maybe I should change it after Halloween, she thought morbidly, her smirk widening. 'Muggleborns are gods' has a nice ring to it.

Entering the Slytherin common room, she was surprised to find a lone Draco Malfoy sprawled inelegantly on the couch near the fire, seemingly fast asleep. 'Think of the devil,' she thought.

His platinum locks were splayed around his head like a halo. Without the ever-present sneer on his face, he looked-dare she even think it?-handsome. She paused for a second, taking in the beauty of the scene before she could come back to her senses and realize that she was actually looking at Draco Malfoy, the bane of her existence.

As if feeling her stare, his eyes shot open, light grey orbs piercing her own brown ones.

'Mudblood,' he greeted. The sneer returned to his face, and despite his position, he actually managed to make her feel like he was the one looking down on her. 'What are you doing in the Snakepit?' he spat, using the nickname the Gryffindors had come up with for the Slytherin common room.

'I came to see Nott. He said he wanted some help with his Charms homework after dinner.' Hermione replied levelly as she settled into an armchair, trying to hide her annoyance at his unnecessary hostility. She looked around the empty room. 'Where is he? Where is everyone, for that matter?' It was just past dinner, and usually, the Gryffindor common room would have been packed for at least another couple of hours.

'I sent everyone to their dorms,' he drawled, pulling himself to a seated position, a predatory gleam in his eye. 'I needed a little time to talk to you. It appears you are even dumber than you look, Granger.' Hermione couldn't help the shiver that ran down her spine under his gaze as he continued to speak, a little menace entering his tone as he stood up, towering over her. 'I warned you, in no uncertain terms, to stay away from the Slytherins. Yet here you are, in our common room, no less.' He sneered down at her, his lips curling in a blatant show of disgust. 'You stupid Mudblood bint!'

Hermione was on her feet before she realized what she was doing, her arms shivering as she tried to reign in her fury. 'Who gave you the right to dictate what I do, Malfoy?' she spat back, practically radiating anger. 'Not everyone is as fucking prejudiced as you are. I don't know what you're playing at, but don't think for one second that you have any power over me. I was a fool to think you were any better than the Death Eater scum you call a father.' She knew she'd hit a nerve, but she didn't care. Who does he think he is? she thought furiously.

Malfoy's wand was drawn and at her neck before she could react. 'Watch your mouth, you filthy Mudblood bitch! Don't you dare compare -'

'Is there a problem here?' Theodore Nott stood nonchalantly at the door to the Slytherin boy's dorms, his wand held deceptively loosely in his hand, aimed squarely at Malfoy's chest. 'I'd put your wand away if I were you, Draco,' he added, his tone conversational, as if he were merely commenting on the weather.