Chapter Six - The Weaving of the Paths

Looking at her now, so frail and innocent, Aetós wondered why he had allowed her to come along, He did not know a single thing about her, not even her name. What had possessed him? 

She was too young to understand what she was getting herself into. What has his excuse? He wondered. To him, it seemed like an eternity had passed since he had the pleasure of a companion. Besides the others of his Order, he had no associates, let alone friends. They had all died lifetimes ago.
Aetós had sworn never to repeat this mistake after Shóró's death, and yet here he was. He supposed that it had been the words of the Dreamer that had swayed him.
Alone for eternity, and dead all the while.
The words haunted him, echoing with the sting of truth. He was granted immortality and astounding power, and his life was empty.
Aetós cast his thoughts aside and clung to them no longer. He let go of everything, and thus let everything in. The smell of the sea, the sound of leaves rustling in the wind, and the sight of the brave young girl who had looked at him with a purity and reverence that he had forgotten.
He was at peace.

Säyä awoke to the succulent aroma of something cooking. She felt the shifting sand of the beach beneath her, and felt the warmth of the sun above.
"Are you hungry?" The Immortal One's voice called to mind everything that had happened to her since their meeting at the well. She smiled wide, glad to see that it had not been a dream.
"Yes. Please." She made her way to his side; he had built a fire pit, and an impressive one at that. Using only wood and stones, he created an oven of sorts which he used to cook several fish and two rodents. A pile of fruit and edible roots were set aside as well.
"I imagine that hunting is pretty simple for you," she said with a laugh. "I could barely see you move when you drew your sword against those men. The fish never knew what hit them I bet."
Aetós smiled and handed her one of the roots that he had found, "This will help restore your vitality quickly. It is called zahne root, and it is an excellent aid for long journeys."
She took a bite and was surprised by the agreeable flavor, "This is pretty good."
"Not all good things must bare the price of bitterness."
The two of them ate in silence - not an awkward lull but a comfortable peace. They were content in one another's company.
"I have yet to ask...what is your name?"
"Säyä Shiinósukä."
"Shiinósukä?" Aetós inquired. The name was familiar to him. "Who were your parents?"
"My mother's name was Riizä, and my father was Ziihärk; but it was not them who gave birth to me. My father was asked to look after me when I was an infant. My true parents could not risk taking me with them, whatever they were planning to do was dangerous. I guess...that it was too dangerous even for them. They never returned for me. Ziihärk told me that my true father was one of the Nahméfahs, the elves of the wood - and my mother was from one of the seven great clans of men. The Änudó."
"That is...an impressive lineage." A powerful one.
"Thank you. Ziihärk died when I was very young, killed by the half-dragons for hunting a wyvern. Riizä died three years ago in a rockslide. I was alone until I met the Wiseman, and then he led me to you."
The words 'led me to you' struck a serious chord within him. "What do you mean, how did he lead you to me?" His question came off a bit sharper than she was prepared for.
"H-he told me to go to the well that night. He said that there would be an adventure waiting for me...and I found you."
Aetós did not understand. He had only chosen to visit the village on a whim. He had been running for four days and mistakenly thought that he had put more distance between him and his pursuers. There was no guarantee that he would stop at that location, how could someone have predicted that?
"Tell me about this person. This Wiseman."
"I met him by chance while visiting the city. I occasionally trade pelts there. I saw him perform a majik trick and I asked him about it. We spent hours that day just talking about the different kinds of majik that is practiced around the world. I went to see him at the end of every week, and I did so for many seasons. He taught me things, like how to control my energy and use it to help me hunt better. He told me stories, and the histories of different peoples. I learned so much from him.
This last time, he told me the tale of the Immortal One...your story. Then he ended it abruptly and said that we might not speak again. He told me that he left a gift at the well near my home and that it was not a 'trinket to hold onto' but was an experience to be lived. I followed his guidance and that is when I met you."
Aetós considered her words carefully. His mind poured over all of the possibilities - did an enemy send her? He considered all of the ways that the situation could be a ploy to capture him or to sabotage the Order. He focused his gaze intently. His vision was so keen that he could perceive the minor vibrations that an enchanted object would emit. He found nothing on her to suggest that she was concealing Artifacts or something similar to use against them. It seemed unlikely that she posed a threat to him and the others.
"Did he say anything about who he is? Or what you were supposed to do when you found me?"
Säyä remembered asking the Wiseman the same question, "He said, 'I am naught but a shadow. One whose memory stretches across the vastness of the void to perceive the rising of suns that have long since set.'"
Aetós' eyes widened and a jolt of energy raced up his spine. He knew of whom she spoke, and she saw his reaction.
"You know...who is he?"
Aetós stood up and turned his back on her. He watched the sea and the evening sun.
"Listen to my words, Säyä. From here, it would be best if you left my side and returned home. You should be safe if you take the roads, the mercenaries and soldiers will not be looking for you. Where I go is more dangerous than you can imagine."
Säyä leapt to her feet. The connection between their hearts was vibrating intensely. The thought of losing the bond between them was too much to bear, she refused to accept it.
"I have not come this far to turn back now. I meant what I said, take me with you."
"You are not strong enough."
"Then teach me. Train me. You must have learned so much in your many years. I want to know. Please...do not send me away, not when I have finally found everything that I have been waiting for."
The Immortal One knew that she was naive to the gravity of the choice before her. "And what have you been waiting for?"
She answered without hesitation, "An opportunity."
Aetós turned to face her and met her gaze with focus - his Will put pressure upon her. Yet she did not falter, and he knew that her resolve was genuine.
"What do you think that you will gain? What do you believe that you will find by walking such a dangerous path?"
Säyä stepped closer, "knowledge, experience, understanding of mysteries that most people dare not even imagine! How many who hear tales of the Immortal One believe that you could truly exist? Yet here you are right in front of me. Don't you see? I have been waiting for you my entire life! I would rather risk death doing what I love, than to live a long life if it means abandoning who I am. Please!"
"The last person to call themselves my student met a horrible end, I would wish it upon no one. I cannot say that the same will not happen to you." In a flash he emitted a pulse of intimidating emotion so that the weight of his next words would be felt.
"There are worse things than death."
She was taken aback by the intensity of his warning. Fear coursed through her, but her resolve did not break.
"I would never forgive myself if I walked away," her heart resonated with the certainty of that truth. "Please. Understand. I know...that I should be terrified. I am. Seeing you offer those men up to the Buukuu...was the most horrible thing that I have ever seen."
She felt a fluctuation in his heart. She was starting to feel his emotions as if they were her own. She could tell that he was not proud of what he had done to them; but he was too jaded to feel remorse or sympathy for them. Säyä felt a weariness with roots that ran deep, deep, within him. He carried many burdens, and they had worn away at him over the course of time.
She continued, "but I know that there is more to you than that. I can feel it. You protected me when you did not have to. You may not be a hero...but you are not a monster either."
"It is not the inclinations of the heart that determine one's nature. It is one's actions. You may yet change your mind.
Know this, Säyä. If you come with me now, then there will be no turning back. All that you have known will be but a memory."
She nodded, fully aware that she would never return. "It already is."
"If you decide to enter my service, you will learn, and train...you will also suffer, and in so doing, you will become stronger. It will be unlike any trial that you have ever experienced. Are you certain that this is what you want?"
"What I desire is to learn from you. To grow and hone myself. You grant me this, and I am yours."
"Then...so be it. From this moment on, you are my apprentice. Our paths are woven as one, and we shall see if you have the perseverance to walk upon it."
"I will not fail you...master." She bowed to show her respect.
He placed his hand upon her shoulder, "Concern yourself more with the risk of failing yourself. My first task for you is simple, and very complex. It may take you a long time to complete it.
Discover what you truly wish to be."
Their feelings mingled as one, and he felt in her a beautiful spirit. He knew that she would take his words to heart. However, Aetós still required information.
"This Wiseman that you spoke of. Do you think that he will contact you again?"
"I do not know. He alluded to the possibility."
"If he appears, then call for me. I would have a word with him."
Säyä did not conceal her concern. "Is he...an enemy of yours?"
She was perceptive. He had thought that she would be a bit more naive.
"And if he is?"
Säyä considered the question with all seriousness. She respected the Wiseman, admired him, loved him even. Yet was it not he that had set her on this path? The Wiseman refused her when she asked to be his student - it was Aetós alone that that had accepted her.
She made her decision.
"I pledge myself to your teaching master. As you have spoken, our paths are woven together. Your enemies, are therefore mine."
The integrity of her character astounded him. She was an old soul, in the body of a girl.
"The course of action that I will take depends a great deal on his intentions."
"I understand. Might I ask what you know about him?"
He remembered, all too well, why it was that his last apprentice met his end. He would not make the same mistake again. This time, he would risk trust.
"The Void-Shadow is one of six individuals that work in opposition to the Order that I am apart of. They are Eloshyyr. It is a word in the dragon-tongue that means 'perfect soul.' I have only encountered two of them personally. The shadows of Moon and Star. They are cunning and powerful. If this third one led you to me, then it is for a reason, and that reason will undoubtedly benefit them in some way or another."
Säyä had not imagined him to be the kind of person who would be a part of a group,"Your Order?"
"Now it is your Order as well. There are three others. We will be joining them, when you are ready."
"Are they..."
Aetós had anticipated the question, "Yes. They are like me. They cannot die."
"I...I see." Her knees shifted beneath her as she considered the implications. She had just joined...an order of immortals. The questions were too numerous to voice, in the end she said nothing. The two of them stared off into the sky and watched the setting sun in silence.