Chapter Eleven - To Be...or Not to Be

There is more than one way to become immortal. There is more than one way to ascend to the heights once reserved for gods and devils. The paths to greatness are many, and each road is fraught with its own challenges and dangers. So hearken here oh ye souls in search of knowledge and power - for all debts are paid in the fullness of time. The cost may not be what thou expects.

My master told me that without death, life ceases to be life. Does that mean that an Immortal is not truly alive?
A storm was coming. Säyä could smell it on the wind. The air was charged with the energy that was soon to be unleashed in torrents of rain, bolts of lightning, and roaring waves. She had been sitting by the bow for the better part of the day, reflecting on her master's words and considering his question with all seriousness. She surprised herself - was she actually considering whether or not she should help to kill the world? How had it come to this?
I am not a hero.
No, he certainly was not. Billions of people would die, along with innumerable animals and plants, entire species would be wiped from the face of the world, never to return. What would such a horror even look like? Was this truly the natural order, or some unspeakable evil wielding philosophy as a weapon to justify its diabolical ends? She found herself wondering what kind of being this Gul was. She imagined his grotesque form as his dark and devilish eyes haunted her from behind the mysterious Door that her master described. The Door that exists outside the boundaries of space and time. How could such a place even exist? She wondered. What would it be like? She could not fathom it. How could life survive in such a place? How could one experience existence in such an environment? When Aetós spoke of the White Road there was a heaviness in his voice that she had never heard before. She could tell that he rued the place. Her thoughts turned to his friend, Aris. Aetós had made the deal so that he could be free and return to the world, but what had happened to the man who had stayed behind? Was he lost there still; a ghost who slipped between the cracks of the world?
Her mind twirled and danced and she knew that she could spend a lifetime gathering information and knowledge and still never know enough to make such a decision. The 'right' answer was not to be found in her reason and logic. No. This was beyond everything that she had ever been taught or hoped to learn. There was nothing that she could possibly do to prepare herself, not truly.
Then there was the fact that if she refused, then she would die along with the world; that was assuming that it would take place within her natural lifetime - which seemed unlikely. She was going to die one way or another, it really did not matter very much whether the world died along with her or not, did it? Everything dies. She had learned that lesson already. What he was offering her was rarer than 'once in a lifetime.' A thousand thousand lifetimes could pass and never again would she be presented with such an opportunity. Yet once the deal was struck, she would never know death, and the peace that it brings would elude her forever. How could anyone make such a decision?
She thought of all of the myths and stories that people told themselves, about what happens when you die. No paradise would await her if she struck the accord. Only the world. Only the mission. Only the loneliness of Eternity. She could not tell if it was a blessing or a curse. She feared to decide either way. One thing kept coming to mind though...she had come too far to turn back now.

The sea raged against the side of the boat with every intention of tipping it over and letting those aboard drown beneath the turbulent waves. The rain fell like arrows upon the unprepared as they desperately scrambled to adjust the sails and stabilize the ship. The passengers were huddled below decks, hugging their frightened children and sending their prayers to whatever gods would hear them. No one wanted to admit just how bad things were becoming. The wind howled like a hungry wolf on the hunt, and the prey was already within its lethal grasp. Säyä, bucket in hand, was working to remove the water that flooded the deck along with several others. They worked in a frantic pace despite the overwhelming feeling that it was a futile endeavor. The bottom of the sea had been a mysterious new world only a short time ago, and now it was like an invader trying to consume their very lives. She wondered where her master had gone for he was nowhere to be found, but she did not have the luxury of exploring her thoughts further. The Captain and his Second strove to keep the ship on course, though just keeping it upright was proving to be enough of a challenge for them.
"The wind is too fierce! Lower the sails before we capsize!"
It was a command easier said than executed. The first crewman who attempted to do so was swept off of his feet and hurled against the railing with force enough to break bone. His jacket caught on one of the hooks that they used for fishing and that alone spared him the fate of being thrown free of the deck and into the waiting maw of the sea. It would have been a simple matter for Aetós to lower the sails with his impressive physical strength and agility. Why had he not done so? Thunder bellowed overhead on the heels of a bolt of lightning that seemed to strike the water just off the starboard side threateningly and a second followed shortly thereafter.
"It's stuck Captain! I can't shake it loose!"
"Do what you have to do but get that sail down now!"
If there had been a clear path for her to take then Säyä would not have hesitated to do whatever was necessary to accomplish the goal; but she was no sailor and she had little knowledge on how to lower the complicated sail. Four men rushed to assist the crewman in getting it down, all the while water continued to flood the deck. She felt a panic rising from her gut and up into her chest but still she did not know what course of action to take. All the training that she had endured under Aetós' guidance and still, in this situation, she was useless. The lightning flashed, this time it struck the pulleys on the mast causing it to explode. Wood and metal shrapnel flew outward in all directions. Säyä could not track their trajectories but she saw the blood mixed in with the water at her feet.
"This storm has it out for us." One of the crewman shouted. As if to confirm his statement, lightning flared again and struck one of the men standing beside him.
"By the Zer! What is happening?"
The sail was nearly free but the storm would not have it. It hurled lightning again at the man as he clung to the mast. In a flash Säyä was beside him, her mind was focused and energy coursed through her with great intensity. She had just enough time to place a hand upon his ankle. The lightning struck him but she redirected it and projected it out the other arm. The electricity coursed through both of their bodies before being safely diverted out toward the open ocean. Moments later the sail was lowered and the winds no longer had such a grasp upon the ship.
Like a defeated beast, the storm subsided shortly thereafter. The crewman who had freed the sail approached her after the fullness of the danger had passed.
"You saved my life little lady. Those are some reflexes you have there, and some fancy mage-work. I owe you a debt that I can never repay. My name is Kail, what's yours?"
"I am Säyä, and you are welcome. I did not do it so that you could owe me. Just be careful in the future."
"You don't have to tell me twice. Säyä. You can bet that I'll remember that name 'till I die."
She smiled sadly. "Yes, until then."

It would be at least twelve more days until they reached the islands of the Neläs Archipelago on the continent of Lekäriiä. Everyone was eager to make port and have their feet on solid ground again. Aetós was nowhere to be found that night, but the next morning he was sitting beside the bunk in her cabin, polishing his sword as if nothing at all had taken place the night before.
"Have you considered my offer?" Was all that he had to say.
"You told me a lot about your Order and about what you plan to do. If I were to refuse you...would you kill me?"
"I have told you nothing that our enemies do not already know. You are no true threat to us."
"I see...You can recruit anyone, can you not? You could search the world for the finest warriors and the wisest mages to join your ranks. Why am I worthy of this offer?"
It was a good question, and he took his time voicing a response.
"Skills are honed with practice, wisdom is born from experience. Should you accept, you will have plenty of time to accumulate both. There are things far more important than these: potential, the will to fight, an understanding of our cause...but most of all, the reason why I chose you is because of how I feel in your presence. I simply know, somehow, that you would do well as an Immortal One."
Hearing him say that was enough to excite her heart and ignite her passion in ways that were indescribable. Despite all that she had learned and the hesitation and wariness that she felt, the prospect of becoming an Immortal One still moved her.
"Then...I have made my decision." She said, her words rang of certainty. "I will meet this Gul. I will walk with you for Eternity."
"Knowing what we plan to do?"
"Yes. I will stand by your side, until the end of this world..."
He smiled, "and the creation of the next."