Chapter 12

Levy glanced back and forth between the two black-haired men that stood in front of her. Hair, build, and jawline were identical. The only difference was their eyes and age. Also, Gajeel was a bit taller.

     Gajeel's father was staring at his son in surprise, his eyes wide. Unlike Gajeel, Gael's eyes were an emerald color, not crimson.

     Gael smiled at his son, "It's... been a long time."

     "Uh, yeah," Gajeel said awkwardly, then noticed Levy was shivering slightly from the cold, "Let us in, would you?"

     "Yeah, sorry," Gael stepped back, letting Levy and Gajeel inside of his small house.

     To be entirely honest, neither of them were sure how to react. Gajeel hadn't seen his father in twelve years— what was he supposed to say to that? And Gael was unsure what he could say that wouldn't sound cheesy and fake.

     "So..." Gajeel muttered as Gael closed the door behind them.

     "I suppose you'll start with why you're here?" Gael sat down in a wooden chair at an old desk that was well polished and smooth, folding his hands at the top of the counter and gesturing with his head for them to sit down on the couch in front of him.

     They both sat uncomfortably down on the old couch, "Er, yeah. We got a few questions for you."

     "Fire away," Gael said.

     Levy dragged a hand down her face in exasperation, "You two are family! You haven't seen each other in years!"

     Gajeel gave her an irritated look, "What am I supposed to do, hug him? I hardly know the man!"

     Gael nodded, "He's right. That would just be awkward."

     "You're acting like you're not related!" Levy ignored them, "Seriously guys, you're not businessmen, and I know Gajeel's not the most touchy feely guy in the world, but you could at least act happy!"

     "I am happy," Gael told her with a small smile, "I've lived in silence, and the first visitor I've had in months is my son? Yeah, I'm pretty happy."

     "Well, we didn't come for small talk," Gajeel leaned back in his chair, crossing his arms, "We need you to answer a few questions."

     "About?" his father prompted.

     "Mom." Gajeel replied.

     Gael shifted positions slightly in his chair, "Alright. Ask away."

      "Was she really a sorcerer?"

     "Yes, and a very advanced one, " Gael smiled slightly, "An amazing woman in whatever she did. I'm willing to bet you're much like her. You have her eyes, after all."

     Gajeel frowned, "What's that gotta do with anythin'?" 

     "The eyes are the window to the soul," Gael replied with a shrug, getting to his feet and walking over to Levy, "I remember you," he touched her cheek with a warm smile, "An old woman gave you to your mother and me, as guidance for our son. You've grown so much... How's Gajeel been treating you?"

     "It alternates," Levy shrugged.

     Gajeel scowled, but said, "There's somethin' else I gotta talk to you about. Why didn't either of my parents explain to me that I had magic?"

     "So you do!" Gael grinned, sounding delighted, "I had no idea, but as it was a possibility, your mother..." his grin raced as he sat down again, "...your mother moved you and Miss Levy to Hitherdale to get you out of the anti-magic zone. So that you'd be safe. My vows as a knight forbade me from leaving the country, and your mother insisted that I didn't give up my passion. Even so, I longed to see you grow up. Then you were only six when Hitherdale made the anti-magic law...by the time I got there, I was just a minute too late. But at least I saved you two..." he smiled sadly at them.

     They were all quiet for a moment, then Gajeel leaned slightly forward, asking, "Do you know anything about the anti-magic law flooding through the countries like a disease?"

     "I've noticed that," Gael commented, leaning back in his chair, "It's odd, but most likely a coincidence. I can't think of any other explanations."

     Levy gave a small nod, feeling a little disappointed, "Could you tell us a little about the king?"

     "Yes. He was a good man. He used to wonder at all things magical, even love them... I don't know what changed."

     Levy glanced over at Gajeel, then back at Gael, Do you know anyone called Zaubera Lenar? A witch that may have done prophecies?" She wasn't expecting him to know, and was surprised when he said:

     "Yeah, I know her. Well, used to, don't see her much now. But I know her, seeing as she was the witch who gave me you."

          Levy's eyes widened and she leaned forward with excitement, "Do you know where she lives?"

     "North Eastern part of the Dark Forest," Gael answered with a casual flick of his hand, "Can't get more specific than that. Why do you wanna see her?"

     "Just have a question or two to ask," Levy said, "Okay, Gajeel, that's our next stop!"

     "Gael...er, yeah," Gajeel decided he wasn't comfortable with calling this man 'Dad', "Why d'you live so far out here?"

     Gael shrugged, "I married a witch. That makes me lower class, so not a lot of people are very nice to me. So I live out here, away from jerks who chuck rocks at my windows."

     "I thought you were a famous knight around here," Levy blinked.

     "I was. Until twelve years ago. The king became very... different that day. He hated me. Shunned me. I don't know why, but since Kali's death, we haven't been friends. He hates me. It makes me wonder how he changed so much." Gael said with a sigh. Then he grinned, " But I never let that damper my love! No matter what torment I go through, Gajeel," he rested a hand on his son's shoulder, "I'll never stop loving my family."

     Gajeel had no idea what to say to this, so he just gave a small nod.

     Levy flopped down onto the couch again, "So now we head to the dark forest! That'll be fun. It's not too far away from here either."

     "Then we oughta get goin'," Gajeel growled.

    Levy stood up again, giving Gael a quick hug, "Thank you so much for your help, it means a lot to us."

     Gael grinned, tossing Gajeel a sword, "Here ya are! One of my best. The dark forest is a pretty dangerous place, so keep an eye on your girlfriend."

     "G-girlfriend?!!" Gajeel spluttered making Levy laugh.

     Gael laughed too, "Well, it was great seein' you again you two. Levy keep up the good work, don't take your eyes off of him for a second. And Gajeel..." his eyes softened,"Don't ever lose your bond with friends. You'll need them very much in the future. " his voice was suddenly very serious, and his green eyes flickered with worry.

     Levy suddenly realized that he must know about the prophecy, since he knew the witch. He must've heard it.

     Gajeel stared at his father, slightly confused, "Uh...okay."

     "Thanks," Gael clapped a hand onto his back, "Well let's not wait twelve years to see each other again, okay? My biggest regret was not being there to watch you grow up. But if I could watch you prosper in your life, then I'll be satisfied." there was passion that flowed like embers deep within his eyes, and Gajeel saw it.

    He gave a small nod, "Sure."

     "Good luck," Gael said, then winked at him after glancing at Levy, "With your mission and all other things."

     Gajeel rolled his eyes, "Sure."

     They walked towards the door, but as they strode out into the forest once again, Gael called after them:

     "It was good to see you both again! I'll look forward to seeing you again, no matter how long it takes." he smiled slightly, leaning against the door frame as they walked away, "I'll be waiting for you."