Chapter Twenty Two

Carrie's POV

'Oh.' I mumbled. Niall just looked at me. 

'Oh?' He repeated me. 

'Yes. I don't know. I guess i've lived a nice life. If I died from this, it'd be okay. Because I spent my life with you.' I leaned in a pressed my lips against his, but he didn't kiss me back. I pulled away, and saw him staring, wide eyed at me. 

'What? You're kidding. You're fourteen. You can't just say things like that. I'll never let you die. I don't think you will. You're in safe hands. But, i'm with you. Through it all, okay?' I stared at his bright blue eyes, and he stared back. My hands were leaned under my chin, and he was lying on his back, his hands brushing through my hair. I wasn't sure what he meant. Maybe he wanted my to stay with him. Especially after how I reacted when I was kept away from him. 

'I'm sorry.' I looked down at his lips, biting my own. Then he grabbed me.

'Oh come here.' He whispered. He reached his hands to my scalp and pulled me forward, pressing all my weight on him. Our lips touched, and he brushed his hands slowly down my body, stopping just at the bottom of my back. I clutched his face as I felt him smile. He then pulled back, but I kept our noses touching. 

'Can I tell you something?' Niall whispered. I smiled. 

'Anything.' Niall's eyes, looked down, so I carried myself off, reaching for his hand and lying next to him whilst staring up at the stars. 

'When I was younger, I had a friend. His name was Ross, and i'd known him since I was one. He was five years older. So when I was ten, he was fifteen and he had a girlfriend. She was beautiful. Not as beautiful as you. But still beautiful. And one day, she came down our street wearing more foundation than usual. 

It was a summery day, and Ross had an idea of a water fight. So we all dressed into our swimming costumes. Then the water balloon hit her, and her foundation began to run. It revealed a large bruise near her eye. Ross got angry, then. He grabbed her wrist and pulled her home.' 

I looked up, raising my eyebrows. 

'Niall...' I squeezed his hand as he turned away, and it seemed like he was holding back tears. 

'Ross came down our street, empty handed. When I asked what had happened to his girlfriend, he said she didn't deserve to be here. I've only just grown up and understood it now. 

He killed her. And after I finally understood what happened, I've sworn to myself to keep my girlfriend and people I love, safe. I'd never hurt you, or anybody.' I turned back to me, tears pouring out his eyes. 

'Hey, hey.' I bunched up my jumper and wiped his eyes. 

'Please don't, okay?' I mumbled. He smiled, trying to show a stronger side. 

'I know you'd never hurt me.' 

'I know that. But your head. It's just... i'm scared. Scared for you.' I smiled at him, and he smiled back. 

'Please don't. You don't have to be. I'll be fine. I'm out the hospital now, right? Everything's okay.' 

Niall looked at me for a few seconds before pulling me to his chest. He started singing in a soft voice. 

'My heart's a stereo. It beats for you so listen close. Hear my thoughts in every note..' 

My arms tightened their grip round his body, as his voice mumbled the words and they slithered through my ear. I yawned, slowly and he saw me then smiled. 

'Got to sleep. I'll still be here when you wake up.' He kissed my head. And we both fell asleep under the stars.