Chapter 9 : A Place to Call Home

Wickerbottom's Hideaway as it turned out, was a large encampment behind a stone wall. This stone wall was unlike the one that Woodie and Wes had hidden themselves behind as it towered over even Wolfgang, and around the perimeter was a secondary caution of large Wooden Stakes in the ground. The entire encampment was run by none other than a lady by the name of Wanita Wickerbottom.

Wanita Wickerbottom was a strict looking woman, but one with a kind heart. She had began building the structures around the camp around two years prior, so she guesstimated. She had built it for herself and her grandson but when the others came they helped her expand it to house all of them.

"We built it around a large radius," she had told Woodie. "We wanted it to be large enough for more people should anyone else stumble upon it."

She adjusted her glasses and breathed through her sharp little nose before walking onward.

"And I'm glad we did, because now you and your friend Wes have come."

And she rested a hand on Woodie's shoulder with a smile.

After Woodie and Wes had been introduced to everyone they had been shown to Ms. Wickerbottom's hut. They were given an apology that no quarters were ready for them yet, and allowed to sleep in her hut for the time being.

Ms. Wickerbottom herself would stay in the children's quarters for the time which was occupied by three children.

The first was Webber who was introduced as Wickerbottom's grandson. He was an interesting little chap with what appeared to be the body of a spider wrapped around him. The exact events that occurred to result in his odd appearance were not ones that Wes would ask about (for Wes never spoke), as well as ones that Woodie did not care to find out (for he found the child slightly unnerving).

The second was a blonde girl by the name of Wendy, who never quite seemed to smile. She was distant, and quiet, and when she did speak nothing happy ever seemed to come out of her mouth. Wes did not inquire about her either, and frankly Woodie also found her slightly unnerving.

The last was a girl of approximately fifteen whose name was Wigifrid. She was a talkative one who believed herself - for whatever reason - to be a valkyrie. From her they learned that she and Wendy had traveled with Willow and Wolfgang when they happened upon Wickerbottom's Hideaway. She was not a child of bad nature, but she was quite hyper, and Woodie found her rather annoying, while Wes seemed more fascinated by her talkativeness and nodded his head in time with her stories.

Wes and Woodie were offered hot baths and they took them gratefully before meeting in their temporary lodging to get some well deserved rest.

The bed in the room was stuffed with something rather soft. The material holding it together was bunnyfluff which made it very plush and comfortable to the touch. The sheets were made of beefalo wool and the entire bed was made neatly. Woodie sat upon it and looked over to Wes who was sitting on a seat cushioned by more bunnyfluff and redoing his makeup, which had been a complete mess all winter.

This was the first time Woodie had ever really seen the other without makeup and he was shocked to find that Wes had wrinkles. They were not very deep but they were still there. Little crows feet near his eyes and laugh lines near his mouth. And Woodie was, for whatever reason, quite boggled to think that Wes might actually be older than what he'd first thought, and by quite a fair amount.

Even if he were to ask Wes about his age he doubted he would be given a reasonable answer, since Wes was incapable of speaking outright. In the end Woodie let the question remain lost in thought and when Wes was done with his makeup he looked up to the lumberjack.

Woodie cleared his throat and rubbed the back of his neck.

"There's only one bed," he stated, brushing his palm against the soft plush fur. "If you wanna take it I can sleep on the floor."

Wes wasted no time in shaking his head. He stood, dusted his thighs and walked closer to the bed. He looked to Woodie a moment, wordless as ever, and offered a soft smile. His hands moved to grip the bottom of his shirt and he pulled it up and over his head, letting it fall onto the ground.

Woodie felt his cheeks burning while he looked at Wes. His temperature was rising again and his ears stung, a sweat had broken out on the back of his neck. He could still see Wes' ribs, and his sharp collarbone, but something about Wes -just Wes- made his temperature rise through the roof and he was not at all certain as to why.

Lucy, who lay over a wooden chair in the room, was for once silent.

Wes seemed rather aware that the other had been looking at him, and he smirked cockily, his eyes lidded and slipped into the bed and under the covers. Woodie cleared his throat and nodded his head.

"Right, uh... Goodnight then."

Woodie reached over, blew out the candle on the nightstand, rolled in the opposite direction of Wes, and tried to get some sleep.

The softness of the covers and bed made sleeping fairly easy.