Chapter 02:Second Cup of Coffee

CHAPTER 02
SECOND CUP OF COFFEE

R A I N

Mom sent me to school when I turned fifteen and let me live with my uncle Kyle, whose mate is a human, auntie Maika. I just turned eighteen three months ago and I hadn't meet my mate yet. I just wondered what if my mate was a human or what if my mate died or what if we wouldn't cross paths. I would never have one. I think it was normal to think like that, right?

I sighed and threw my backpack on my back. I was going back home after three straight years of not going back there. Jack invited me on his eighteenth birthday and he said our friendship would be over if I wouldn't go and greet him in personal. The timing was right since his birthday was in Saturday, no class.

I looked at my reflection in the mirror above my drawer and checked my hair before I went out of my room.

I went downstairs and saw uncle and auntie having their morning coffee. I placed my backpack on the sofa and walked to the kitchen and sat on my place. Auntie gave me a hot cup of coffee and I happily accepted it.

"Wesley's still drooling on his pillow?" I asked, talking about their only son, and auntie nodded.

"You send our regards to Trent and Estelle and your sister, and you take care. Don't speed up." Uncle said and I nodded.

"I will." I said and finished my coffee.

After saying my goodbyes to them, I drove my motorbike down the road early in the morning and it took me almost fifty minutes of the drive until I saw the familiar surroundings. The tall trees standing near the side of the road, the cold wind. Nostalgia hit me and I felt excited to see my place again. Does it look the same than before?

My mom and dad were waiting for me outside and they threw their arms around me while I was still in the middle of pulling the helmet out of my head.

"You've grown taller." Mom said and messed my messy hair. "And more handsome." She added.

"I am not. It was still three months the last time you visited me." I said and they chuckled.

"How are you doing?" Dad said as he threw his arm on the back of my shoulders as we walked inside the house that still looked the same over the years. We were at the same height now unlike before. I used to envy his tall height when I was still a kid.

"Great. School's nice and by the way, uncle Kyle and aunt Maika sent their regards to you guys." I said.

"How are they doing?" Mom said and snatched the helmet from my hand, placing it on the counter and dad walked into the kitchen.

"They're doing good." I said and throw my backpack and myself on the sofa, sighing.

"Must be tired." Dad brought with him a hot cup of I'm guessing coffee and gave it to me.

I chuckled as I sat straight and grab the cup. "My second shot. Thanks, dad." I said and took a sip.

Then, I heard the loud slamming of a door that echoed inside the house.

"O, my God! Rain's back!" Kelsey, my younger sister, exclaimed and the flapping of her footwear was so loud as she descended on the stairs. She just jumped at me and the hot coffee spilled on my pants. "I missed you so much!" She said while straining my neck.

"You missed me so much that you wanted to crush my neck with your arms." I said in a choked voice and she let go. She just laughed.

"Did you meet your mate there?" She said, excitedly.

"Hmm, no." I said.

"Ah." She muttered. "Well, maybe your mate is here."

"I don't know." I said and ruffled her hair. "I'll go and get some sleep." I grabbed my backpack and the cup, on the other hand, dropping it in the kitchen where mom and dad were making breakfast.