Chapter 5 - The Compound

Elytra had been put back in her cell, with the shock collar, gloves, and several cuts, all from her own knife. The lashes to her back through her shirt all had painful burns surrounding them. Her foot had long since stopped throbbing, even though she could feel the break in the bone protruding through her skin, and her metal leg was nowhere to be seen. Blood trailed from her cell to the door, as no one had cleaned it up, or cared to. There was a small pool of blood beneath her, but Elytra just sat in the middle. She physically couldn't move without help, unless she used her arms, which she had already tried.
Elytra put her hand out in front of her. She didn't care about the burns, she cared about her sanity. The ice relieved the burning somewhat, as the little snake slithered around her foot. Red crawled up her arm, the burning irresistibly sore, and El put her hand down, letting the burns lull her to sleep.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________
The door to the prison swung open, and a man stepped out of the darkness. The girl looked up, before laying her head back down. They could hurt her all she wanted, Elytra had lost the will to live. She had done all she could to save her friends, and hoped Steve and Bucky had made it. The doors to her left swung open, one by one. The door next to her opened, and Sam stepped out. Her cell was next. She hoped she would get a quick execution.
"El? El!" Steve. She wasn't going to die today. Even though she was relieved he was alright, Elytra wasn't going to say a word. The collar would make sure of that. "Hey. You're gonna be okay, all right?" Steve knelt down in front of her, with a pocket knife in his hand. He quickly stuck the knife in her collar, careful not to prick her, and it dropped onto the blood-stained ground in two. Sliding the metal under her gloves, he ripped them off, careful of the burns that mauled her skin. Steve stuck his arms under her frail body, and she grimaced as he touched the deep cuts on her back. He walked out of the cell, and she looked up to see Sam, Clint, and Wanda. Wanda looked as bad as she did, but Clint had an arm around her to keep her from falling.
One of her burned arms was in Elytra's line of sight, and hers were visible to Wanda. They looked at each other, and El understood. She wasn't the only one trying to keep her sanity.
Steve ran as fast as he could without hurting her, but Elytra's injuries were above irritated by the time they got to the jet. Bucky was in the pilot's seat, and there was a first-aid kit positioned behind it. "I didn't think we would need more. I'm sorry." Steve laid Elytra on the floor, on top of a blanket. It was stained within seconds. "Okay," He sighed, trying to figure out where to start. As he began to set her leg with the few supplies he had, Elytra looked over at Wanda, who sat in a seat on her right. Wanda was looking down at her, with the same dull, lifeless eyes.
She had been patched up as well as Steve could do before they got back to the compound. Wanda sat next to her, as did Clint and Sam, while Bucky and Steve sat in the front. Elytra lifted her hand, and tried to grab Wanda's, but her hand fell limp before she could reach it. Wanda snatched her burned hand in her own, and Elytra iced them together. The two inseparable girls stayed latched together for the rest of the flight.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Elytra was promptly picked up by Steve as soon as the jet had landed at the compound. She looked up to see Tony waiting for them at the door. "Hey Icy." He mumbled, taking her from Steve's arms. She was silent as he carried her to the medical ward. "You don't have to talk, I know you won't, just listen. That's all I ask."
And she did. Tony refused to let anyone else operate on her, insisting on doing it himself. He set her leg, before laying her in a machine that sealed the break in a matter of minutes. While she waited, Tony talked. "I was wrong," He started, and she gave him a look that said, "No kidding, dumbass."
Her lashes were stitched, as were her wings, and Tony put medicine on her burns. He injected an enhanced painkiller into her system, and attached her new leg. But, he couldn't heal the emotional pain, and thankfully, he didn't try.
He left Elytra in her new room, with a large vanilla milkshake, which he remembered she loved, and a large amount of art supplies. Tony walked through the halls into the kitchen, where he was met with five pairs of somewhat mad, but forgiving eyes. "She'll be okay, physically, I think." He muttered, "And I put an unnoticeable camera in her room to make sure she doesn't try anything."
"Tony-"
"I saw the look in her eyes." He said, taking a drink from his water bottle. "She was thinking about it, and I want to make sure she doesn't carry through."
_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Elytra got up from her bed, and slowly walked over to one of the bare white walls of her room. Tony had left a numerous amount of paint and brushes, and she turned the walls into a infinite universe of her pain.
And the Avengers watched from the living room, as the girl painted the walls of her room with a million different stories, and she told them a thousand words with one, simple picture.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Word count: 977