Chapter 13 - The Mist

Sketches on crisp, white paper lay scattered on the obsidian floor. Pencil scratches and faint music could be heard down the hall. Silk-white hair fell over her forest colored eyes, laser point focused on the spiral on her lap. Her gaze switched between the ice sphere in front of her and her drawing every few seconds, waiting for any sign of change. Elytra sighed, gliding her finger over the tablet screen, simultaneously increasing the volume of the song playing over the speaker in the wall. "Come on, Mave."
She had been sitting in the exact same position for three days now, and one of the Avengers would occasionally bring her something to eat or art supplies, but they never asked her to leave. They were aware that no amount of begging or bargaining was going to get her to come out.
El's head shot up as a small whimper echoes off of the black walls. A hand, slightly bloody, was barely visible behind the ice screen. She dropped her things, rushing over to kneel beside the egg, pressing her hand against the cold. Two crystal orbs of blue light stared at her. "Hey, Mave."
_____________________________________________________________________
Mavi awoke surrounded by the pale blue ice. There was a numbing pain in the back of her mind, and her headache, it seemed, had gotten worse. A shaking head brushed her forehead, and touched two horns protruding from her skin. Blood trickled down her brow, and she hastily wiped it away before it got into her eyes. But, there was still darkness. And she realized her eyes were already open wide. But, there was nothing but black.
____________________________________________________________________
A scream echoed throughout the compound, as well as an earth-shattering cry. Elytra sat in the broken ice shards, holding Mavi's face. Mavi could feel El's hands on her cheeks, but she couldn't see them. "TONY!" She screamed, wiping the blood from her sister's skin. Tony ran into the room, flanked by Sam and Steve.
"Tony?" Mavi whispered, reaching out in the general direction of the door. He sat beside her, ignoring the ice that scraped his knees. The light dimmed in her eyes, turning them black as coal. "El, why is it cold?"
Elytra looked at Mavi's chest, which was turning blue under her thin shirt. "El, I think this is where I leave." Mavi wasn't afraid of death, after seeing most of her brothers and sisters die, but she had expected it sooner than now. The cold feeling spread through her veins, frost flaking her skin. "Mavi? Mavi!" She could hear Elytra screaming in her ear, and Tony, as well as two other voices yelling for help, but she felt herself slipping away. "E-El? Look, I'm not the last one, Tundra, Biyne, and Himyli are still there. Y-You can, and will save them, okay?"
Her heart began to freeze over, and Mavi grabbed Elytra's hand, holding it in her own. A vision ran through her mind. "Tundra found a cure. You'll live, El. The f-four of you will live."
It began to grow hard to breath. She let go of her sister's hand and reached for someone else, her hand finding Pietro's. "Take care of them for me, alright. I'll meet you at the border."
And with her last sentence handing in the air, Mavi let one more breath out of her frigid lungs, and her hand fell back onto the ground.
_____________________________________________________________________
She heard a faint scream as her misty body rose from her mortal one, still holding onto Pietro's hand. Another boy stood behind him, looking at El. "They can't see us, can they."
"No. They can not. But I'll bring you back to visit someday." Pietro turned to Cameron, and the others standing behind him. Anouk and Calysta stepped out of the sea of people, wrapping their frost-covered arms around her. Cameron stepped forward, Mavi peered up at him. "Hi, Cammy."
"Hi, Mave. Long time, no see."
Mavi giggled, running up to hug him. He picked up her small frame, chuckling, and ushered Anouk and Calysta in front of him. And they walked into the mist.