Chapter 8 - The Death

El woke in an abyss of white, in a cave of snow. Icicles shimmered on the high ceiling, gleaming in the light seeping through the cracks in the stone. She looked up, at the massive spikes of ice, but shifted her gaze to the one in the middle. It cracked.
The icicle broke in two, falling to the ground in an instant. It shattered, cracking the floor under her feet. El cautiously stepped forward, looking at the broken expanse of ground surrounding the shards. Sitting in the middle, was a small, feisty, dragon.
Its eyes glowed blue, and it shot a ray of light at her, which she quickly dodged. "Hey." Elytra put her hand out, and the creature jumped onto it, latching its razor-sharp claws into the fabric of her shirt. "Hey, little guy." Scratching his head with her finger, she looked up at the other spikes on the ceiling. One by one, over the course of the day, all three hundred of the dragons hatched.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________
"Tundra?" Elytra whispered, looking around the empty cave where the dragons had roamed just a second before. "EL!" A voice called from the darkness above, ringing down to her. "Tundra?" She yelled, looking up into the black, trying to make out his body. Looking in front of her, a shadow came out of the darkness, but it was human. Or rather, had taken the form of human.
"El." Tundra said, but she wasn't listening. She was looking. He was her age, but with short brown hair, ice blue eyes, and frost covering his arms. "We don't have much time."
"What do you mean?" Elytra asked, walking up to him. His eyes were full of fear.
"We're dying, El."
"You're dying?"
"We all are. The virus started right after the Battle of New York. Norge got it first. Died a few weeks later."
"How many?" She asked, looking down at his arms, where the frost was melting away, leaving the skin burned and red. He didn't answer.
"How many!" She screamed at him, grabbing his hand. "How many, Tundra!"
"There are thirty of us left." He said, not meeting her eyes.
"Look at me, Tundra." Tundra looked up at her, with light seeping out of his eyes.
"You're dying too, aren't you?" He asked, putting a hand to her cheek. "Red skin, frost peeling away. Unusual pain, constant headaches."
El nodded, admitting the fact.
"Listen to me El-"
"Tundra!" A young girl with auburn hair ran into the light, holding another girl in her arms. "Calysta's gone too."
"Twenty-nine." He said, taking Calysta from her arms. "You need to stop this, El. You need to find a cure, before we all die."
Elytra took the young girl's hand. It was cold. "Can you take her back with you?" Tundra asked, brushing the Calysta's hair out of her eyes. "Mavi's the only one unaffected so far. I'd like to think she'd have a better chance on Midgard."
She nodded, holding Mavi's hand tighter. The girl's arms were unfrosted, she hadn't underwent a change yet. The vision started to fade, and the girls' hands never let go of each other, as they traveled back to reality.