7~ The Present Worse Than It Is

"The reason people find it so hard to be happy is that they always see the past better than it was, the present worse than it is, and the future less resolved than it will be"

~ Marcel Pagnol

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Two under-cooked bowls of pasta and flavorless ice cream sandwiches later, Jake and Jenna sat on the couch while the TV played as background noise to their little game.

"Maynard's or gummy bears?" she asked. Jake took a minute to think.

"What kind of Maynard's?" he asked.

"Any kind," she said. He nodded back.

"Gummy bears,"

"What?" she was pleasantly shocked.

"I don't like the grape ones," he said.

Jenna rolled her eyes, "Nobody likes the grape ones! What about fuzzy peaches?" she asked. Jake chuckled.

"Jenna, I can't eat a lot of this stuff, especially during the week," he said.

"You drink though, right?" she asked.

"Of course, but only after hard cases... and only one beer," he specified. Jenna chewed on her lip in thought.

"I guess you're going to soak your brain in booze after this case, right?" she beamed. Jake playfully rolled his eyes.

"After this case, I am taking an entire week off; sleeping in and spending it with my family. If Lex has a problem, I can just remind him that I almost got exposed to level four radiation for him," he said.

"That seems fair," Jenna said, "What's your family like? I mean, it's only fair you tell me now. I told you about my dad," she said.

Jake shrugged back, deciding it was best not to mention Quentin. Would Jenna understand it? Probably not, she wasn't there after all.

"They're... complicated folks. Hard heads, you know?" he said.

"Ah," she nodded, "So that explains it: genetics made you an asshole," she smirked. Jake glared at her.

"You know, I don't care that you're a girl. I will knock you out," he said. Jenna just rolled her eyes.

"Mm-hm. Implied use of force right there," she said.

"And that is mockery of an officer," he replied.

"That's not a crime,"

"It can be probable cause," he nodded towards he bag, still sitting tightly zipped on the bed.

"You're not going to let that go, huh?" she asked. Jake smiled back, clearly giving Jenna her answer.

"Alright, it's your turn," he sat up straighter against the couch, "Biggest fear?" he asked.

"Why do you want to know?" she asked.

"Just for future reference," he replied.

"Fine. Being buried alive," she said.

"Specific reason?" he asked. Jenna shrugged.

"I was biking with my friend and my wheel hit a pot hole. I flew over the handle bars and I crashed headfirst into a wall. Well, this idiot of a friend thought I was dead and threw me into the trunk of a car. I was in that trunk for five hours until the park guard found me," she said, "You know I ripped off all my fingernails trying to get out of that car? I have to wear the fake stuff now,"