Extra #2 ~ Ecstatic Jubilant Adventure

"A mother does not become pregnant in order to provide employment to medical people. Giving birth is an ecstatic jubilant adventure not available to males. It is a woman's crowning creative experience of a lifetime."

~ John Stevenson

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jenna could tell something was off the moment Jana sat down. She seemed a little skittish today, almost off kilter. That still didn't stop her from inviting herself over for lunch that afternoon.

"You want a beer?" Jenna asked as she went for the fridge.

"Just water will do," Jana replied. That was odd too, Jenna thought. Jana always accepted a beer, whether it be hot or cold outside.

"Okay then," Jenna pulled out her own chair and sat down across from her friend, "I tried making that Thai cucumber salad that they do at Moxie's, it's just chilling in the fridge now," she said.

"I'm in no rush, Jen. I just needed somebody to talk to. And I couldn't talk to my mother because she'd just get crazy if I told her..." she trailed off before she could finish. Now Jenna knew that there was definitely something wrong.

"Is everything okay, Jana? You and Lex are okay?" she asked.

"We're fine," she replied, "Lex is a great guy, but it's not him. It's me,"

She started to become nervous, mostly because of the other relationships that could have been at stake. Jana was one of her best friends... who was Lex's girlfriend... who just happened to be Jake's best friend. If these two called it off, then the last Jenna wanted was for her and Jake to be caught in the middle between them. 

"... Then, what is it?" she asked. Jana looked off to the side before she sighed heavily and pressed the knuckles of her right hand into her left palm.

"Well, recently, I've been a little sick. At first, I thought it was just a 24-hour bug, then I realized that... I missed my period," Jenna suddenly became excited.

"Are you saying what I think you're saying?" she asked.

"I haven't confirmed it with a doctor yet... but I took two pregnancy tests this morning. I was positive," 

Jenna was at a loss for words at first, so she leapt from her seat and engulfed Jana in a hug, "Jana! This is amazing!" she squealed happily. Jana just chuckled and hugged her back.

"I'm glad you think so," she said, "I'm just not sure how Lex will take it,"

"What do you mean, how is he going to take it? He's going to be thrilled!" she exclaimed. But she could tell by Jana's exterior that she wasn't exactly, "... and you're not?"

"I just never thought I could responsible for another human being. It's simple when it's just two people, you know? There are no commitments, no diapers, parent-teacher conferences. Children are just a whole other level," she said. In a way, Jana was right. Jenna had only really known Quentin for just under a year. But still, it was quite rewarding.

She got see Quentin's games, help with his homework, and she'd talk to him when he was having a bad day. It was quite enlightening, having him around. Supposedly, Jana never quite got that experience.

"I don't have much experience with babies... but I have experience with Quentin. And you know, he's a product of his mom, who taught him the difference between right and wrong. We just try to guide him," she said, "Lex is a great guy, and he'd make a wonderful father. And I'm betting dollars to doughnuts, as soon as you lay your eyes on that kid, you're going to fall in love,"