20~ To Dare Mighty Things

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

~ Theodore Roosevelt

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jenna ran her wet hands over her face, trying to scrub off as much of the dried dust and blood as possible. She knew how were father would get; as soon as he saw her wounds, it become less of a welcome-home party and more of a don't-you-ever-put-yourself-in-harm's-way-again lecture.

She fluffed up her hair to give it more bounce, pinched her cheeks to return some color to her face, changed the bandage on her arm, and rubbed some of the hand soap onto her wrists and neck to mask the smell of burning plastic and dust. After five days of being cooped up in a small living quarters, being forced to communicate via only through land lines, radios and emails, she was ready to have a long shower, snuggle up in her living room with her dad on the couch, and have an all-night marathon of The Office.

While she continued to fix herself up, one of the bathroom stalls swung open, and a young woman came out. She smiled at Jenna through the mirror as she washed her hands. Jenna watched her carefully, something about her seemed familiar.

"Do I know you from somewhere?" she asked her. The woman looked at her and continued to smile.

"No, I don't think so," she replied. Jenna chuckled sheepishly.

"Sorry. You just seem kind of familiar," she said.

"Surprisingly, I get that a lot," she said, "But I think I've seen you. You were just on the TV, right? You were stuck in the district,"

"I wouldn't call it stuck, I'd call it more like fighting for my life against scary boys with a lot of anger issues and language barriers," she replied.

"Well, you made it out at least. You must feel pretty good," she said. Jenna smiled and leaned against the counter.

"Yeah. I feel pretty amazing," she said.

"And that guy out there, who just spoke about that kid... is he your boyfriend?" she asked. Jenna's smile grew wider, and she shrugged coyly.

"Uh... yeah. I guess so. It's been weird but, it works," she replied.

"Well, if there's one thing I know about Jake Riley, is that once he's comfortable, he'll put his entire trust into you," she said, "And I see the way he looks at you, and I can tell he really cares about you,"

"How do you know Jake?" she asked.

The woman shrugged back, "We worked together a couple of times," she said.

"So you know how he can get, too?"

"Kind of like a big, overprotective teddy bear,"

"Exactly!" they both laughed.

"Well, I wish you good faith with Jake Riley; he'll give you the world, if you ask for it," she said.

Jenna sighed and ran her fingers through her hair, "I don't need the world, I just need him," she smiled back.

"Good luck out there, hey?"

"Yeah, thanks. You too," she was about to turn to leave, but then she stopped and turned back, "Oh, hey! I didn't get your name," she said.

The woman smiled back, "I'm Katie,"

"Jenna. Nice to meet you, Katie,"

"You too, Jenna. Take care of yourself,"