Chapter Five

In search of some time to think, Edith set out to town early in the morning. She told Caroline that she had to order the material for a new dress at the mercantile, which was not completely a lie, more of an excuse. Wyatt left for work before dawn's light, leaving his daughters with the assumption that he had important work to tend to since he had come in very late the night before. Though Edith didn't necessarily like to see her father work so hard, she was glad that he was not there to question her motives when she stepped outside without even eating breakfast. Her father was an observant man to say the least and he knew both of his young daughters well, despite what they liked to think.

The night before Edith didn't get very much sleep. She had been caught up in thoughts of a certain stranger. She felt as if all the information she had acquired over the past few days was slowly building up in her head, threatening to spill from her lips if she did not share it. However, Edith was determined not to breathe a word of Cal's confession to a soul. She could never be certain how others would take it, though she assumed it certainly would not be received well. In fact, she was probably one of only a handful to hear the words "I'm a killer" and not run. Surely there was something wrong with her... However, Edith didn't have the time to bother with finding out her own flaws. She had to help Cal with his troubles, even if her help was not wanted.

Thankful for the fair weather after the day before, Edith forced a spring into her step so as not to draw suspicions. It was easy for her to mask her true thoughts and emotions for most everyone. Actually, Edith supposed she'd inherited that trait from her father.

"Edith?"

Blinking in surprise at the sound of her name, Edith stopped in her trek across the boardwalk and turned her head to meet the gaze of the man who had said her name. The speaker sat atop a large bay horse, who appeared weary from several long days of traveling. The horse's rider, however, looked bright and lively as he met Edith's startled gaze.

After a moment of thought, a small gasp of recognition came from Edith's mouth and she asked, "Sawyer? Sawyer Campbell, is that you?"

The young man grinned, obviously pleased by the fact that she remembered him, and swung his leg over the side of his steed. After hopping down to the ground, he sauntered his way over to Edith. "Sure is, Ed."

Edith rolled her eyes at the nickname she was sure she'd gotten rid of when she'd finished school.

Sawyer was a childhood friend. He had attended school with both of the Harris sisters, though he was closer to Edith's age than Caroline's. Known as a class-clown and a jester in school, Sawyer had always been one to seek attention through the laughter of those around him. Before Caroline left, she'd been positive that Sawyer had feelings for Edith that went well beyond friendship, which Edith quickly denied. Sawyer was a kind friend, a cordial companion, but Edith's feelings for him did not surpass that.

"Well, you've just gotten prettier and prettier since I left, Ed." Sawyer smiled alluringly, a light in his grey-blue eyes that was, no doubt, used to charm himself right into the arms of women.

He'd been gone for a long while. After school, Sawyer had headed south to look for work in the cattle business. Edith couldn't remember the last time she had the pleasure to see him, but it had been a long while and she vaguely remembered him as skinny and freckle-faced. Now he was obviously fit with a deeper, more mature voice and masculine features to match. Had he always had those dimples?

"And you've developed a silver tongue since you left, Sawyer," Edith noted, smiling in return.

Sawyer beamed, grinning as if her statement made him proudest man on Earth. He reached up and took off his hat, shaking out the golden brown mane of hair on his head before replacing his Stetson and murmuring, "I never knew I had to sweetin' up anybody with words to get any attention."