Chapter Fourteen

"There's no logic in your sadness

You don't gain a single thing from misery..."

                                                       "King" by Lauren Aquilina 

For the past couple of weeks Edith hadn't been able to halt the onslaught of questions racing through her mind surrounding Calvin McClain. She pondered his past, present, and possibly even daydreamed about a fantasy future he could have with her if only his stubborn pride would step aside. Her inquiries about him never seemed to be answered. Only more questions arose throughout the time Cal had been in Blackwell. The incessantly frustrating array of mysteries only became more tangled as time went on.  

But now that Cal openly handed over the opportunity to ask him anything. Anything. Edith couldn't seem to grasp one single question. With her mind struck completely blank, her brows furrowed in frustration over blue eyes that darkened with the setting sun. For once, she was not cursing Cal. It was herself she was irritated with.  

Cal, at first, watched her hesitantly. Edith knew he was afraid of the questions she was going to ask. After all, since when did Calvin McClain offer answers even to his own questions? But Edith gave him credit for giving her the opportunity. Finally.  

For Cal's sake, Edith decided to start with something simple. Or at least, it was a question she hoped was simple. 

"Explain what happened at the livery. Who was that man? Judas? And why was my papa arresting him?" 

Cal took a measured breath. He held her gaze, but she could see the distance in his eyes that told her he was wording his answer carefully.  

"Judas is a part of Amos' gang. You remember Amos, don't you?" When Edith nodded, Cal went on. She was glad he didn't comment on the shudder that rolled over her. "Those fellas he rode into Blackwell with are all a gang. He's been on the other side of the law since before I ever met him. Judas and some of the other cronies beat a man half to death on some ranch the night before they came into town. Your pa must've had evidence that tied Judas to the crime." 

Edith drew her brows together further, frowning at the thought of her papa arresting such a dangerous man. But then again, that was Wyatt's job as sheriff. Had he arrested men who were even more corrupt than Judas? Edith had never feared for Wyatt's life. He'd been a sheriff for so long, the dangers of the job had dulled. He didn't make it sound elaborate when he spoke of work. 

The young woman tilted her head slightly to the side, regarding Cal with the beginnings of confusion. "So why didn't Judas fight when Pa arrested him?" 

"Judas is a cocky son of a-" Cal seemed to realize the company he was in -- though Edith had never known it to bother him to curse around her before -- and he cleared his throat, as if to dislodge the swear word, before he went on. "I'm sure it was all just for show. Or maybe that was the plan all along -- for Judas to make sure the sheriff was distracted -- since I don't think Amos would've dared rely on me to put his trust in."  

Edith appeared even more confused. Not that Cal could blame her. She was stumbling blindly in the dark like some lost adventurer, searching for enlightening discoveries, which was a problem he was trying to solve by offering her the answers to forbidden questions.

"What do you mean?" 

Cal breathed a heavy sigh meant to gather all his patience and instill it into this conversation. Edith knew he wasn't used to revealing so much information to anyone, even people who might consider themselves close to him. When it came to questions, Calvin would rather be evasive than answer outright. That was a fact she had learned quickly.