Chapter Seven

The morning air was brisk when Cal stepped out of the hotel the next day. A thin fog was just beginning to lift, the smokey white tendrils receding from the streets and alleyways like snakes creeping back to their holes in the ground when the winter settled in for a season. The town was relatively quiet and as peaceful as ever. George Baker, who was the only other soul outside, stood sweeping the porch of the mercantile, whistling a tune that turned faint over the distance across the way. The air carried a faint chill, but the clear sky and the rising sun above promised a warm day ahead.

"Sure feels good to see the sun again!" Skinny exclaimed.

With a cheeky grin, the youth took a step down the boardwalk in the direction of the saloon only to have his uncle seize the fabric at the shoulder of his dusty shirt and yank him back to where he stood at Calvin's side moments before. This produced a child-like frown from Skinny as his shoulders slumped but before he could complain, Cal grumbled, "I don't want you outta my sight, ya hear? You just got out o' jail. If you cause any more trouble, I'll leave you on your own the next time you get caught. An' I ain't foolin'."

Without another word Calvin strode toward the livery. His nephew and Bill followed a few paces behind. Having realized long before this moment that McClain was in one of his famous foul moods this morning, both of his companions were more than satisfied to stay out of the dark eyed man's way. Even Skinny, with all his purposefully irritating behavior and remarks, could tell this was no time to poke fun at his uncle Cal.

The night before, Calvin McClain and Wyatt Harris had departed from the warm, welcoming lights of the saloon and walked silently to the dark, foreboding jailhouse together. The sheriff had released Skinny on the condition that the trio of strangers be out of town by noon the next day. Of course, Skinny had been delighted. The young man had boisterously thanked the sheriff several times as he shook the lawman's hand earnestly and gave a grin to anyone who looked his way. Unfortunately, even after the past several days in confinement, the youth had yet to learn that he had done a tremendous wrong by attempting thievery. While spending his time in the jail cell, the strongest emotion young Skinny had felt was boredom. So he was ready to get back into the swing of the gang's usual pass time activities. Persuading Skinny that they had to leave town had been effortless; he was just glad to be out of the cage of the law.

Bill had taken some convincing. Naturally, he wanted to stick with the plan and wait until Amos arrived in Blackwell since it had been his grand idea in the first place. The entire week and a half they'd been in town had been a complete waste. So far, all they'd done was eat, drink, and watch Skinny sit in a jail cell. Surely Cal would come to his senses and realize that had to make some sort of profit off of this boring town like they'd planned to do in the first place! But no matter how long Bill Young waited, his old friend didn't seem to be willing to stay. He'd only broached the topic once that morning before the three of them had left the hotel for what they were sure was the last time. The answer had been one seriously irritated look from McClain paired with the snappish words, "Get your hat. We're leavin'. Right now." After that, Cal had been nearly inapproachable. It made Bill wonder if McClain had been drinking this morning too, even though normally Calvin left the bottle alone until at least sundown.

Whatever the case, it seemed that they were leaving and no time was to be wasted. The clink of Cal's spurs disappeared as he stepped off the boardwalk and onto the dusty ground of the street. He walked into the livery, the musky scent of horses and the hay loft above filling his nose as he made his way toward his gelding steed. A few birds fluttered overhead, chirping as they flew through the rafters, briefly blocking faint rays of light that were already interrupted and blocked by the wooden boards that made up the structure. The horses shifted on their feet in their stalls. Some nickered to each other, while others continued to lazily eat their morning portion of grain.