Kaller to Lothal

"Everything can change in just a moment." Depa told her Clones squad. "We need to be prepared for all possible outcomes during a battle. Except there to be changes in the plan as we go on."
Caleb noted this and filed it away for later.
"So we plan on the plan changing?" One of the clones asked.
"Well not everything can be planned for." Caleb answered for his master.
Depa gave him an approving smile.
"Ok, I guess that's true. For once the commander has an answer instead of a question." Styles said.
"Yeah but how do we plan for something that you can't plan for?" One of the other clones asked.
"Everything is temporary and will eventually end. The ability to adjust quickly is very useful. Plans involving the future must be flexible, so that we can easily adapt to any unexpected changes as we go. If we cannot adjust we will suffer losses." Depa explained.
"So plan for the worst and hope for the best." Gray simplified.
"Correct, what's the plan men?" Depa asked pulling up a holomap.
"I say we come in from here then split up if necessary." Grey said pointing to a spot on the map.
"We can determine how once we're out there." Styles agreed.
"That will work for all possible occasions." Depa said.
"Um master? What if you get injured again? Who will decide who's in which group?" Caleb asked.
"Then between Styles, Grey, and you, my young padawan will decide while the medics tend to me and the others that are injured." Depa said.
"Oh," Caleb said then studied the map. He pointed to the center path. "If we gain an advantage this will be the most dangerous path." he said.
"It will so it will be our path." Depa said. "Now we have a plan that will work. Any questions?"
"Um?" Caleb responded.
"Any questions not from Commander Dume?" Grey asked.
"Hey, it was an open question for everyone." Caleb replied.
"Maybe, but you've already asked a million questions kid." Styles replied with a smile.
"I'll explain it to you later padawan." Depa promised.
Then they all went into battle.
                     ~§~§~§~§~

"Everything can change in a moment." His masters words echoed in his head. Caleb had come to realize that truer words could not have been spoken when he first arrived on this horrible planet. He never wanted to return to it.
One moment they were fighting the war. Things where going good and they won the battle. Then his master and him were training. She even gave him a gift as she explained what she meant earlier when she originally said that phrase. Everything was how it was supposed to be for a brief moment. Then everything changed. The war was over, the clones had turned on them, Depa Billaba was dead, he was completely on his own, and the Republic was gone. Caleb had no knowledge of life outside of the Jedi Order. He just knew he had to adjust to this new life. He had gone from a valuable leader of the army of the grand republic to the most wanted list of the new empire.
Caleb looked at the holocron his master had gave him.
"Well I've learned to adjust like you told me to master." He said as he entered hyperspace.
In fact he had. With the help of Jannus Kasmere he had learned how to survive in a galaxy that saw him as a criminal, a monster, without revealing what he was. He learned how to hide form people hunting him while on the streets. He learned how to steal (something  a Jedi would never have approved of) and make underhanded deals.
"To bad I can't follow your teachings anymore. I'm not Caleb Dume anymore. My life as a Jedi died with you." He said regretfully.
He pulled the lever to enter hyperspace and leave this forsaken planet behind for good, or so he thought.
Once the ship was in hyperspace he got up and picked up everything he had left.
He held the holocron in his hands.
"They killed everyone just because of what we are. Just because we were Jedi and they didn't understand us. I only survived because you sacrificed yourself. Unfortunately being a Jedi now is too dangerous." He said to the gift she had given him. It was all he had left of her.
He pulled out a drawer and placed his lightsaber and the holocron in it.
"That's why I'm giving it all up. The force, my name, my training,my robes, my lightsaber, and your holocron. Everything that can would make your sacrifice pointless." He said as he closed the drawer. "Everything except my lightsaber and your holocron I'm leaving behind on Kaller. I hope I never have to go back there. Your padawan died there with you."
Caleb cried for hours as he thought of a new name to go by. He had already established a new life. As he cried he could have sworn he heard Depa's voice.
"Caleb you can't do this. You can't escape what you are. Eventually you'll have to face it."
He heard the warning but ignored it. He wasn't Caleb anymore.
"Kanan Jarrus." He said. "That will be my new name.

              ~§~§~§~§~§~§~§~

Fourteen years later he had never forgotten about Depa Billaba or who he once was. Sure he had done his best to put that all behind him and forget everything about the Jedi. Never telling a soul what he really was, at least until he meet Hera five years ago. Then he had someone to share his secret with, but he still hid it as much as he could.
The warning on the Escape was long forgotten until now.
The force was practically screaming at him that something was about to happen. Kanan was trying his best to ignore it, but it was too loud. As they landed on Lothal he knew that something about this extended mission would change his life as well as his crew's for good. He just refused to look into the force to see if it was for the better or worst.
"What is it love?" Hera asked.
"I sense something." Kanan replied.
"Like what? Is it bad?"
"Not sure. Whatever it is it's going to change our lives forever."
"Well maybe you should check it out."
"You know as well as I why I can't do that." He said with an accusing look.
"I do, but I just want you to stop hiding your true self. Maybe whatever this is it will help you be the Jedi I know you are love." Hera replied.
"Only one thing could change my mind, and it's impossible Hera. The Jedi are dead. We're not going to find another one here. I'm the last one." Kanan dismissed her remark.
"Maybe not a Jedi but another force sensitive." She corrected him.
"What an untrained youngling? The Empire probably would get to them before we do if there is any." Kanan replied.
"If we did would you consider it as a possibility?"
"To train them? Depends, I'm not the most qualified to train someone."
"But if you had to would you go back to being a Jedi to train someone?" Hera asked.
"If I'm not alone in this I might. It would be dangerous to do so for all involved." Kanan answered.
"Then I hope it's someone like you." Hera stated.