Hearts Bound Tight

"Tell me, do you experience these blackouts often?"

There is no scribbling on a notepad, no torch down the throat to check for foul play. Um, I guess I was used to doctors doing that years ago. Mum didn't know what the hell was going on with me, why I developed differently from other kids. It freaked her out bad. She's good with it now. Better than dad, anyway. David sits, as he always does, cross-legged, rather casual. On the table in front of us is an empty chocolate wrapper. Honestly, I think his snacks are my only favourite thing about coming here.

I shake my head, but his eyes are like searchlights, cutting through the mist. I swallow and tilt my head down, just a little.

"I see..." He strokes at his beard, claps his hand together, and then he sits up, unfolding his legs. "And after they happen, do you find yourself in a different location than where you were before?"

What... I don't get these questions. "No."

David's smile is hard to read.

"I'm sorry if I'm sounding rather cryptic," he grins. "Cases like this are very unique. It's not uncommon for—"

"What are you trying to say?"

He nods, placing his hands together. There's a brief pause, and the room takes on a sombre quality, not too dissimilar to the dark chill of a graveyard.

"It could be a simple negative reaction, your body conflicted after—"

"Don't bullshit me!" I feel my skin burn, and I am overcome with a strong surge of adrenaline, and I wonder if this is what it feels like to have power. It feels good.

David seems to notice it. "You like swearing, don't you?"

"Kind of," I murmur, instantly losing all that fire. "I see everyone else do it. I'm too afraid to speak like that myself..."

"But not here."

I think about that and then shake my head. "No. Not here."

Another long silence. I catch his smirk, and I strum my fingers along the armrest. He's really trying to sell these visits to me. With the chocolate and safe emotional and physical distance, it may just be working.

"You haven't told my mum or dad anything, have you?" I ask, biting my tongue.

"What did I say, Aiden? Patient confidentiality. I've only given your parents' slight indications to let them know things are progressing, but that's it."

"Do they ask anything else?"

"They ask if you're happy."

I feel like a tonne of bricks has just fallen on me. I've lost the ability to breathe, and my stomach is a riot.

"They did...?" I breathe, wiping at my eyes.

"Of course. That's all they want. You said to me at the start that nothing was wrong with you, but I'd like to think that these visits are a way of letting loose, and showing your parents that you're trying, for their sake." I open my mouth to speak, but he cuts me off drawing a finger across his bottom lip. That's his silencing technique. "Yes you might feel it unnecessary even considering all that, but I'm sure our sessions aren't harmful in any way, now are they?"

I pause but then shake my head.

"No. I don't much like coming here though."

"And why is that?"

"It's boring." He raises an eyebrow, clearly sceptical. "Alright, fine. You already know everything about me. I'm not like... depressed, I think. I'm all good!"