I'm Here

Note: this chapter contains some distressing content. I can say there is light beyond the darkness.

A glowing line becomes a shape, then that shape is accompanied by another, and I'm just content watching the neon colours glow. Very soon it becomes clear what word she's painting in maroons and Mardi Gras purple.

"Fishstick," I laugh, nodding, admiring her artistry. "Truly enlightening."

"I just thought," she grunts, standing back to get a proper look at her own work. "what the hell? Why not fishstick?"

"I'll always be remembered here," I remark. "As a fishstick."

"That's better than most."

"Probably." She finishes her second beer bottle and sets it against the wall by her feet. The second one I've seen her down tonight anyway. She wobbles a bit as she stands. I ask if she's alright and she says she's fine. I won't argue.

A few people enter into the iridescent garden, and Corin stares at them, gulping.

"Do you know them?" I ask, watching as three rough-looking guys in their early twenties strut about, pointing and laughing at some of the artwork.

"Those arseholes," she breathes, ignoring me. "I know the girl who painted that dolphin. She's really nice. I'm just glad she never has to step foot in this place again."

Now she faces me, her cheeks drained of colour, despite the glow that emanates all around her.

"Yes. I do know them," she grunts, her lips forming a thin line. "They don't belong here."

"I thought you said Hell was for anyone."

"Technically yes. But it's an escape. Not a nightclub. That's the 'brilliant' idea Isaac built this paradise on. Connor fell for his BS, and I still can't change his mind. He thinks with his dick and that's what's effed up quite a bit of human history. Most bad ideas come when you think with your dick. Remember that, Aiden." She scoffs, throwing her arms out limply. "It doesn't matter. Sooner or later the police will find this place and shut it down, and Isaac's glorious vision will all be for nothing. He'll finally be behind bars, though. We can be thankful for that, at least."

I furrow my brow, trying to form a picture of Isaac in my head. He is as elusive and dangerous as the image I first had of Ryder. But there was something in Ryder's smile I could trust. That made me throw away my caution and step out into the night. Isaac just seems... off.

"Is he a bad guy?"

Corin bites her lip, thinking on that deeply. Finally, she sighs.

"Yes. And no. If you'd asked me a few months ago, two-hundred per cent yes. He's arrogant to the point of being terrifyingly so, and a hopeless flirt, but when he's not high off his face, he's somewhat tolerable."

We watch the three move to the tree, where one proceeds to unzip his trousers. Please don't tell me... Yep, he's peeing on the tree.

Corin takes a firm step forward and I grab her wrist, pulling hard. It wouldn't hold back a puppy, let alone a twenty-year-old woman, but she doesn't resist. I sigh, thankfully.

"This is sick," she growls, struggling against me.

"I know. Shouldn't you tell Isaac?"

Corin turns to face me, eyes narrow slits.

"Even supposing I did want to see his despicable ass again, it's not like he'd do anything. He lets jerks like them in here every night."

"But... doesn't he care about this place? Did he build the zen garden?"