Epilogue: Our Wild Hearts

My last session with David was better than I expected. Mum and dad—they listened. And just that simple act meant everything to me. David was a brilliant host, as always, and never dominated the conversation, never overstepped his boundaries.

At the end of it, I hugged David and made him promise to call me when he was with his family. Family is an important thing, even if it doesn't always feel that way. He's been away from his for too long. He deserves a break after dealing with an ungrateful sod like me.

It was also a chance to tell dad about me and Ryder. 

The truth comes out, or it doesn't. Mostly we fear it because it hurts. It reveals a part of ourselves we deny, or find a way to live with. Either way, it's dragging us down.

I was always defined by my autism, my ADD, every little thing that set me apart. I never had considered the stigma of being gay. Sure, there was a flush of euphoria when I told mum, but the fear with dad... I know dad loved me, that he accepted every other part of me. It was still... so freaking hard to tell him this. I kind of never want to tell him, but I do.

I wanted to do it with David and mum in the room. Dad was pale when I said what I was about to tell him was deadly serious. When I said Ryder was my boyfriend, he blinked.

"Come again?" I felt my heart stop. Then his lips twisted, just a fraction, into a smirk. "It's bloomin' obvious, ain't it? The way you've been acting. Your mum told me you spent the night there, and when I saw you the next day, I saw that love bite."

"You didn't say anything!" I blurted, instinctually covering up my neck, even though his bite had long since faded.

"It'd take an idiot to not work that out."

Mum placed a hand on my knee. "Believe me, this is the first he's hearing of it. Granted, your dad did see the love bite, but he was sooner to believe Ryder was a girl. He's taking it pretty well, I'd say."

And then I had stared at dad. He stared back. I was imploring my dad to think nothing less of me, to love me all the same. With a stupid smile, he told me I had nothing to dread. And I cried. He pulled me into his chest, telling me how proud he was of me. Everyone had misty eyes by the end of it.

Mum pushed dad out of the room while he rubbed at his eyes, mumbling about having something stuck in them, some fluff. Which left me and David.

I promised I would call him if my thoughts went dark, that I'd seek help and not bottle it down. At least I promised to try. David's smile made me want to do better.

Corin was expected to be released next week, so on my last visit, I told her about my dinner plans with Isaac. She didn't stop laughing for a full two minutes. Good thing Isaac wasn't here or he'd be pinker than a salmon's belly.

She asked then if I was serious about Isaac being my big brother. I found it hard to answer, but finally, I settled on an answer.

"Everyone I've met is hurting a little," I explained. "maybe he won't hurt as much if he feels like he has a little brother he can depend on."

"You know, Aiden, that's the sweetest thing I've ever heard."

"Thanks."

"And if I'd heard any sentimental crap like that from anyone else, I'd give them a good kick up the arse."

"Never change, Corin."

Corin had flashed me with a mysterious fluttering of her brows.

"Don't plan to. You know, except for the parts that matter."

I don't know when I'll see her again, but I hope one day when we meet again, she'll be happy, and that's all I can really ask for.

***