Starry Skies

Chapter Text

I've embarrassed myself countless times throughout my life, some instances far more memorable than others.

There was the time my parents were entertaining guests and I had no idea so I walked into the kitchen in my boxers with headphones in, belting out some punk rock song I can't remember, just to turn around and see a room full of adults staring at me.

Once I accidentally walked into the girl's restroom at school and was too scared to come out so I crouched in the stall for hours until the coast was clear, missing all of my afternoon classes, and then emerged right in front of the principal.

I got stuck in a water slide when my t-shirt snagged on a bolt and they had to shut down the slide until someone could open it up and pull me out.

Every instance ended the same. With my face burning, frozen in place as fear courses through my veins even though I wasn't exactly sure what I was afraid of. Eventually, though, those feelings passed within a day or two only to resurface once in a while on a sleepless night, wriggling its way into my subconscious and leaving me internally cringing it no more worse for wear.

I've done countless embarrassing things in my twenty three short years of life, but none of them can compare to standing in the hallway of my apartment building staring blankly at a deaf boy as I offer him a CD.

He cocks his head to the side again, probably wondering if I'm so stupid that I need more explanation. No, it was clear enough the first time; I'm just useless and unable to form coherent sentences at the moment.

"I-I'm sorry," I stutter, the flush on my face so hot it's practically blistering, burning against my palm as I rub the back of my neck nervously. Am I supposed to leave? Do I try to talk to him more? What exactly is it I'm supposed to do in this situation?

"Oh!" Hinata snaps suddenly, cracking a smile and holding up a finger to tell me to wait before turning around and heading back inside his apartment, spiky hair bouncing with each step. I start to feel along the wall behind me for my doorknob, planning to retreat quickly back inside and to curl up under a blanket and probably die.

My hand finds the cold brass but just as I start to turn it the door at the end of the hall opens and... Hinata steps out of the stairwell?
No, not quite Hinata, but a smaller, much more female version of him.

She skips towards me down the hall, stopping when she sees me standing awkwardly in front of my door, my face probably the same shade of red as her school uniform bow tie.

"Hello!" She singsongs, her voice bright and friendly, incline her head towards me politely. "Can I help you?"

Help me? Not even God can help me right now.

"I- uh, what?" Nothing is processing between my brain and my mouth right now and I look like a blubbering idiot. Make that two people I've humiliated myself in front of today.

Small girl Hinata laughs at me and points her chin toward normal Hinata's open doorway. "Do you know my big brother?"

Big brother? Okay that makes way more sense than a tiny female clone.
"Uh, no...yes. Kind of?" I ramble, making a fool of myself even more.

She laughs again just as normal Hinata reappears in the doorway.
"Shouyou!" She trills, throwing her arms around his neck. She has to stand on her tiptoes even though he can't be more than 5'4 himself.

"Is this your friend?" She asks, stepping back. He starts to sign at her, as fast and his hands can go, and I have no idea how she keeps up. He apparently tells her all about my grand gesture because she turns to me, eyeing the CD that's still in my hand with knowing eyes.