I Want To Believe

And when the world gets sharp and tries to cut you down to size
And makes you feel like giving in
Oh, I will stay, I will rain, I will wash the words and pain away
And I will chase away the way we push, the way we pull
You're beautiful
I'll open up and be your parachute
And I'll never let you down
So open up and be my human angel
And we'll only hit the ground running, running

-Train

Chapter Text

There are certain sounds that convey feelings so strong you'd think they entered your body through your soul instead of your ears. The sound of heavy rain on the rooftop calming you when nothing else can, the creak of a floorboard in the middle of the night making your blood run cold, the trill of laughter from someone you love reeling your heart in closer with every breath.

The sound of cardboard hitting the carpet of my living room floor followed by the rattle of the box's contents is sort of like that, making me cringe at the thought of what it entails. The box sits next to a haphazard row of several similar packages, all filled with the belongings of Oikawa Tooru. In my apartment, where I live. It's tragic.

"That's the last one Tobio," Oikawa singsongs, stepping through the door behind me carrying a significantly smaller box than the ones I just finished hauling up the stairs.

"Wonderful," I mutter, leaning against the wall and rethinking my life decisions. I bet two thirds of these boxes are clothes and the rest is his weird alien action figure collection. Garbage cluttering my entryway. "When are you moving out?"

"Depends on how the 'marriage trial period' goes," he shrugs, throwing air quotes up around the silly terminology Suga keeps insisting on using.

Daichi was completely on board with the real wedding idea as soon as it was brought up, but Suga, being the careful worrywart that he is, didn't want to jump into anything too quickly. So, after a lot of talking (during which Oikawa spent an incredible amount of time at my place), they decided to try living together for a while and see how it goes before planning a wedding.

Of course, knowing them, it's going to go beautifully. Honestly, if there's such a thing as soul mates they are the poster children. I've never seen anyone who was so deeply, incredibly, and disgustingly in love with each other.

And that's how I ended up in this roommate situation. "Where are we even going to put all of this junk?"

"It's not junk Tobio, I only keep things that are important," he tells me, opening a box and pulling out two plastic Mulder and Scully dolls from 'The X-files', holding them up for me to see as if it proves anything.

"The same question stands," I growl, rolling my eyes at his toys and opening the box closest to me, finding a dark comforter set with a UFO pattern, bringing up another very important question. "Where are you going to sleep?"

"I've already thought of that! Daichi is going to bring over an old futon from his apartment after work and we'll just set it up in your room," he smiles, nodding as if his plan is great with absolutely zero problems. Unfortunately for him I'm a professional problem finder (part time problem creator).

"That sounds amazing actually," I sneer, pushing the box away and striding over to the sofa, throwing myself down with a dull thump, "we can have pajama parties and play truth or dare. Why didn't we do this sooner?" I cross my arms across my chest, basically throwing a silent tantrum.

Oikawa just shakes his head, digging more stupid knick knacks from his boxes and lining them on the shelf up above my computer desk. He turns to me then, and I swear his eyes trail over my painting in the corner with piqued interest, one perfect eyebrow arched. "Speaking of truth or dare," he smirks, making my stomach flip, "where's your little boy toy at today?"