Ambrosia

You're the only one I ever believed in
The answer that could never be found
The moment you decided to let love in
Now I'm banging on the door of an angel
The end of fear is where we begin
The moment we decided to let love in

-Goo Goo Dolls

Chapter Text

Love is a plague. It's a curse, a disease, and I am so infected. It's in my bones, taking over my limbs until I have to force my arm not to reach out and caress soft pale skin. It's in my brain, jumbling up my thoughts and making me imagine things I don't want to admit. It's on my tongue, pushing against the backs of my teeth and trying to force out words I want so badly to say. It's even in my blood, carrying these feelings through my veins and beating in each chamber of my heart, so strong I can feel every cell as the sickness spreads. My body is consumed and so far I haven't found a cure.

But today it's in a new place. A more...primal place, as Hinata steps out from behind a curtain in Oikawa's mother's boutique. Excitement radiates off his face as he spins around, showing off the dark waistcoat and black suit pants he was given to try on. It took Oikawa's mom, Mrs. Aya she had asked us to call her, over an hour to find slacks small enough for Hinata, but she somehow found a pair that fit perfectly. Maybe a little too perfectly, as the twinge deep in my gut would suggest.

"Oh that looks lovely sweetheart," Mrs. Aya gushes as she comes around the corner, clothes piled high on one arm. Hinata spins again as she pulls at his sleeves and adjusts the buttons on his waistcoat, giggling when she smiles and pats his cheek. "I knew we had something around here that would work. And I won't even have to hem them!"

Something bumps my shoulder, pulling my eyes begrudgingly away from Hinata's exposed collarbones under the undone top buttons of his dress shirt to find Oikawa's smirking face inches from my own. "Might want to make sure your slacks are pretty tight before the wedding," he winks, "you don't want to show off just how much you like Hinata's outfit to the whole reception."

My face flares up immediately and I drop my eyes down to my lap where I definitely do not have a boner (even though I do admit that Hinata looks really really good in that waistcoat). "I don't know what you're talking about," I growl.

"You're practically salivating," he continues, dropping down onto the plush chair beside me. " I didn't know you have a suit kink."

"Oikawa I swear to-,"

"Boooooys," Mrs. Aya calls, causing both of our heads to snap up in answer. "You're friend is trying to talk to you." She has one perfect blonde eyebrow raised in the exact way her son always does, and that knowing look in her eyes that I've grown used to seeing on the face of anyone who's spent more than five minutes in a room with me.

"How do I look?" Hinata signs, showing off his now buttoned shirt and the bow tie he's added to the ensemble. I can feel Oikawa eyeing me from the side as I let my gaze linger.

"It looks great," he chimes, taking a step forward before my silence can start to turn awkward. "Let me just fix something really quick." Oikawa starts to unbutton Hinata's sleeves, fiddling with them until they're folded perfectly up to his elbows, and I start to believe that God is real.

"There you go. Perfect," Oikawa proclaims, spinning Hinata around to face me, winking at me from behind his head. My urge to punch Oikawa in his smug face is only eclipsed by the sheer beauty standing before me.

"You, uh, you look really good," I mumble, pulling at the collar of my shirt and trying to look anywhere except Hinata's lightly blushing face but unable to tear my gaze away.