A Taste Of Fire

Notes:

Sorry this update took so long! (But it's over 10,000 words so hopefully it was worth it.) This chapter is about 4% plot and 98% ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. Enjoy!

And tell me, did you sail across the sun?
Did you make it to the Milky Way to see the lights all faded
And that heaven is overrated?

And tell me, did you fall for a shooting star,
One without a permanent scar?
And did you miss me while you were looking for yourself?
-Train

Chapter Text

Life is a give and take. It took me a long time to realize that. There's a cosmic balance to the world, pulling the strings of fate and pushing the tides that bring people together, forming the lives we live with unfathomable precision.

The universe gave me Hinata. It gave me Suga, Natsu, Kenma and all of the others. It gave me the one thing I thought I'd never deserve; friends. But with that gift comes a payment.

I need to be wiser, kinder, I need to accept more and deny less. I need to open up and embrace this life I never knew I needed but is now the only thing I want.

I need to reconnect and resurrect the things I've broken with my own naivety and clenched fists. I need to piece my gifts back together, but first I have to fix myself.

My salvation comes in the form of a text message.

From: Lil Sis
Meet me at the cafe in ten minutes okay?

The old me would frown at the name Natsu entered for herself in my phone and not bother to respond, but I'm turning over a new leaf. I'm going to try my hardest to keep the things that are important to me and this sassy teenage girl is definitely one of them, not matter how much I loathe admitting it.

To: Lil Sis
See you in a bit

I'm already out, leaning against the brick wall of some indeterminate building in a long line of similar bleak structures along the street. I slept awfully last night, tossing and turning for hours after my conversation with Suga at the playground, the lightly falling snow outside my window doing little to calm my nerves. I left early this morning, bundling up against the chill of mid December and heading out to clear my head with a lungful of icy air underneath the vast expanse of steel gray sky.

When I turn the corner next to the cafe around fifteen minutes later (I didn't realize how far I'd wandered or how long it would take to find my way back) I see Natsu through the window, already seated. Her tiny hands are curled around a mug of hot cocoa, warming them as she gently blows the steam, and I can feel a warmth spreading through my chest that I'd usually beat down and hide away, but now I let it fill me. How did she manage to burrow herself so far into my heart without my noticing? She looks up as I near the door, waving through the window with bright eyes and a sweet smile.

Hinata is like a sunflower; bright and delicately beautiful, pulling you in with the promise of warmth and never disappointing. But Natsu is like a flame; just as bright, just as beautiful, but with a sharp edge that can burn you to ashes at any moment, yet you're drawn like a moth and you'd rather catch fire than miss her flickering light.

I order my coffee from an annoyed looking blond employee and sit down, neither of us speaking for a moment, and I don't even lift my head to meet her eyes.

"Listen-,"

"I'm really-,"

My head whips up as we both snap our mouths shut, expecting the other to continue.