Chapter XXII

We spend the rest of the night watching horror movies and munching on junk food, all while talking about everything but the statue. At 2:30 am, we decide to call it a night, so we turn the lights off, making sure the statue is nowhere around the house before heading upstairs into our rooms. Clarice goes into her room, and Gabby and I head to mine.

The second my head hits the pillow, I feel myself drifting off into a peaceful slumber, hoping to dream of anything else but the statue.

***

Smash!

"Emma?" A voice calls out to me in a whisper.

"Hm?" I mutter under my covers.

"Chica, did you hear that?" Why is Gabby still awake?

"Hm." I snuggle deeper in my blanket, tightening it around me.

Smash!

Suddenly, I feel a pair of hands shake my body. "Wake the hell up, you lazy bitch!" What the hell is wrong with her today?

"Piss off, asshole," I groan, slapping her arm away, but she doesn't budge.

Gabby huffs loudly. "Will you wake up? What if a serial killer broke into your house?"

"Then I hope they kill you first. You can't shut up even if your life depended on it," I mumble in irritation, and I could tell Gabby was rolling her eyes at me.

Just then, we hear a loud banging at my door, and my eyes jolt open. I immediately sit up, the look of horror on Gabby's face mirroring mine. The fear rises in my chest as we both look at the door almost expectantly, our heavy breathing mingling together.

The person on the other side of the door speaks up. "Emma! Open up!" It was only Clarice.

Gabby and I let out a sigh of relief as we both grab our phones and get out of bed. I try to flick on the lights, but it doesn't work for some reason. Shrugging it off as nothing, I open the door to find a scared and angry Clarice standing outside my room. "Did you or did not hear that sound?"

"We heard the sound," Gabby and I say together.

"What serial killer thinks it's okay to break in at 4:30 in the morning?!" Clarice whispers loudly to us, and Gabby and I gape at her. That's what she's worried about?

Smash!

The three of us jump in fear and look at each other helplessly in the darkness. I try to turn on the lights of my room again, but it doesn't work. What is happening? "We need to go to the basement. The lights don't work."

Although I couldn't see either Clarice or Gabby's face, I could tell they were looking at me like I was insane.

"Are you stupid?" Gabby asks me with disbelief.

"There is no serial killer down there! The statue is doing this, trust me. We need to go to the basement and check the fuse and throw the statue away!" I say firmly, trying to suppress the fear in my voice, but my heart was thumping loudly against my chest.

The girls agree, and Gabby and I turn on the flash on our phones to illuminate our path as we walk down the hall upstairs and slowly step down the stairs, trying to make minimal noise. My legs felt wobbly with each cautious step I took down the stairs, my trembling hands tightening around my phone as I scan the foyer and front door.

The door was wide open, creaking and smashing with the pouring rain and gush of wind that blew through the house. The loud thunder rumbled before lightning fell from the sky, and the trees outside writhed and flailed.