Chapter LVI

Waking up in Josh's strong arms the next morning felt unreal, and I wanted to stay in bed all day, but a short reminder of the Malvada drama had me running to the bathroom to freshen up. Gabby came with Ethan and Mason to bring me some fresh clothes for school when I was showering, so after Josh and I got ready, the five of us left for school together.

Dad calls me as we're driving to school, telling me that they've started planning the funeral, which is set to be next Friday on Halloween since it was the only date available. I assured dad we'd sort everything out and that I'd help out with calling close family and the caterers while mom and dad arrange everything else.

They decided to take a week off work to sort everything out and mourn for Clarice properly, and dad even encouraged me not to go to school until next week. I strongly refused, giving him the same reason I did with my friends and Josh.

School goes by painfully slow, and everyone, including the teachers, could tell I was miserable. Some even took the courage to ask if everything was okay, and my hands immediately grabbed my phone as I examined my face.

I looked like a zombie who got too tired from attacking people in an apocalypse.

My friends stood by me for the entire day. Gabby ended up threatening anyone who decided to approach me when I wasn't in the mood, but I held her back, assuring her it's okay. I borrowed her makeup and fixed my face during lunch before I had any teacher or classmates ask me if I "got any sleep last night," some with a knowing smirk on their face.

Gabby and Josh had to restrain me from exploding and possibly punching them across the face.

***

Today is Friday, which means Mason and I are going to his grandfather's house after school. Henry hasn't called Mason to tell him that he changed his mind and decided he doesn't want to help, but I know it's the last thing he wants to do right now.

After getting all the books from Gabby, Mason steps on the gas pedal and drives twenty-minutes away to Henry's low-rent neighbourhood with dirt streets and single-story houses. Mason parks on the driveway behind a black van and turns the engine off before we both hop out of the car, and I tighten the bag around my shoulders as I examine the exterior of the house.

It was a small brown building with square windows, and the garage extended from one side. A small front porch with a white fence was beside one of the windows, and Mason and I walked towards the entrance.

I lift my arm to knock, feeling something tighten in my stomach. 

A few seconds later, I hear rustling behind the door before a tall, lean man looking to be in his sixties opens the door, his brown eyes furrowing for a moment before he realizes who we are.

"Hey, Pa," Mason greets with a smile and hugs Henry.

"Come in, kids." He opens the door wide and lets us in, slamming it shut behind us. He leads us through his cozy house and downstairs to his furnished basement with a mini library and work area, consisting of a large office table with an office chair, and two beige chairs. Henry sits behind the table and gestures his arm for us to take a seat across him.

I'm about to re-explain everything to him, thinking he might have forgotten some things, but he dismisses me by saying, "Save yourself and me the explanation, darling. I don't need you to repeat your story. It's all in my notebook." He pulls out a worn-out notebook from one of his drawers and flips a few pages before landing on a page with scribbled words and random drawings.

He rests his arms on the sturdy desk, intertwining his fingers together and purses his lips. "Is there anything I should know before we get started?"