Chapter XLI

I decided not to tell Gabby and Ethan what I just thought of because they might not believe me. I'll have to look into this some other day, but alone.

The three of us move Gabby's book aside, and I open the thick book by Mason's grandfather. Gabby and Ethan look at it with a thoughtful interest, their eyes shining with hope.

"This book was sold out everywhere before. No ebook or anything," Gabby tells me.

Ethan nods. "I'm surprised it's even here. They probably did some restocking over the summer and hid the book way at the back."

Gabby and Ethan huddle close to me, eager to know what Mason's grandfather's limited edition book had to say.

The book discusses what we already know about who Weeping Angels are and their intelligence and harmful intentions in the first few pages, 'The Angel Rule,' and a Weeping Angel's ability to possess and kill humans who are their energy sources.

However, a particular human always catches a Weeping Angel's attention. Sometimes it could be two people, but usually, it's only one. Once a human has caught these creature's eyes, the human is in danger. Weeping Angels will do everything in their power to make sure nothing interferes in their business of assassinating that particular human to make themselves stronger.

The angel could either try to simply eliminate any human because they're an obstacle to the creature's goal, so Weeping Angels kill the human. That, or kill the human and possess their body, pretending to be that human. Weeping Angels have a high sense of hearing, and with this, they know what humans discuss.

"Why would Weeping Angels pretend to be the person they possess?" Ethan asks, his green eyes looking at me curiously.

I cock my head to the side, contemplating his words. "I think it's pretty simple: to fool others around it until it reaches its goal."

Gabby bites her nails, her brown eyes staring intensely at the pages in front of her. "What if a Weeping Angel possesses the person it wants to kill and imitates them? There's no point in fooling others for that."

Ethan and I shrug, not knowing how to answer that. This was more difficult to understand than we thought.

We then continue to skim through the pages. There were some explanations, examples and people's real-life experiences mentioned in this book, but none of us could understand what it meant, so I flipped some pages and found a short chapter dedicated to possession.

According to Henry, Weeping Angels perform four types of possession: Malevolent Possession, Control Possession, Half-Possession, or Full-Possession. The last two usually fall under the first two types.

I flip a page, the curiosity eating me alive.

At the top of the page, the bold words read, 'Malevolent Possession,' and under the heading was a brief description of the different possession types.

Malevolent Possession is a long-term possession when Weeping Angels possess a human and take complete control of the body once they've killed the human or hurt them. Basically, these creatures keep the human "alive" through this type of possession.

Another heading read 'Control Possession.' This is a short-term possession when Weeping Angels simply control the humans into behaving in a particular way before they slide out of the human body. Usually, humans have no control over this and no recollection of what they did during this possession.

Below that reads 'Half-Possession,' which is when half of the Weeping Angel's soul enters the human body, and the other half remains to roam around, usually in its statue form. This half can either stay inside the angel statue or just become an invisible, malevolent force of energy.